How Do I Fill Bottles From My Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone with some experience here could help me out.

I tried to fill a 1.25 L coke bottle with dunkelwezen from my keg and had trouble with foam and lost carbonation.

Is there a good way to do it or any GADGETS (my fav word) out there to help.

cheers

Tony.

It's easier to fill glass bottles rather than PETs.

You can put the bottle in the freezer before filling to chill it. Seems more inclined to keep the foam at bay. That said if your Dunkelweizen was highly carbed you could be behind the 8-ball right from the outset. :ph34r:

I reckon it also helps if your beer is as cold as you can get too. :)

Warren -

If its a gadget you want then check out thread :D

If you just want a simple bottle filler then a lid with a liquid post and dip tube is all you need. Screw it onto a bottle - give it a squirt of gas to pressurise it - hook up a liquid jumper cable and unscrew the lid slightly to release the gas slowly - when filled tighten the lid back up.

oops didnt see the other thread.

sorry.

Thanks for the link jye. Im building one of those for sure

PS.... where do you get the picnic taps from?

where do you get the picnic taps from?

I got mine from the US with some other bits and pieces, I have seen a few on ebay but they can be a bit expensive.

I've heard of some intrepid brewers forcing a length of small enough OD racking hose into the opening of a Pluto gun to reach the bottom of a bottle.

This by all accounts is reputed to work well in conjunction with frozen bottles. B)

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
I've heard of some intrepid brewers forcing a length of small enough OD racking hose into the opening of a Pluto gun to reach the bottom of a bottle.

This by all accounts is reputed to work well in conjunction with frozen bottles. B)

Warren -
[post="121339"][/post]​

If you get it squeezed over the whole end of the gun, it makes a tight fit in the top of the bottle, and when you get really keen you can build up pressure in the bottle and then bleed it by wiggling the gun a bit, to try to reduce foaming.

Hey guys,
Dont forget the 'Carbonator' attachment for your P.E.T bottles.
I have two of these ( for the last 8yrs ) and they are my best friends.

Fill a 2L bottle out of the keg ( flat or carbed ), squeeze out the foam and gas it up @ 250psi shake for 10 seconds.
I leave the Carbonator attached to the rock hard P.E.T and crack it when i am at the party. 4 littres is a nice little drop at a party or bbq, with no kegs and crap tagging along. RULE no1: Put the Carbonator in your pocket as soon as its opened!.

:super:

If you are just after a bottle for a BBQ that day a frozen empty and fill it from the tap right to the top, you may need to wait a little or overflow the bottle, I push the bottle neck over my ventamatic and filler her up to the brim and cap works fine I do however loose a little carbonation.

Tony said:

A flow restrictor will help immensely in your quest, either the inline type which were bulk bought here a while back or an in tap one.

I have some Alumasc taps at home with inbuilt flow restrictors they are an earlier version of this one http://www.alumascdispense.com/taps/adi_plastic.asp
A piece of the stiff 5/16" in beer line happens to fit nicely up into the outlet of the tap. I keep a piece of this line about 200mm long in a jug of one shot for when I want to fill up a few takeaways. With the flow wound back and the extra line putting the beer to the very bottom of the bottle you get very little foaming and wastage.

I have done the same thing with a pluto gun or even picnic tap with an extension on the outlet using an inline flow restrictor. So I reckon the key is the flow restrictor (and also dont overcarbonate your beer!!!) I did manage to pour a heap of foam trying to bottle a wit beer that I had overgassed.

Latest posts

Back