How Crap Is Crown!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I went to a Party, ( read backyard wedding) and the choice was VB, Crown, TED or some other mega, I prob would go a Crown, simply because I know it is bland and boring, and drinkable against the others...

I remmember going to a party and they had Tooheys Old stubbies in the tub... funny how I was only one of few who drank them..and when thay ran out, we where all going ..." um...yeah...nothing good left in the tub "

Gimme old over Crown any day :)

+1. Man I've heard this so many times. Because the beer from the top of the fermenter tastes so different from the beer at the bottom, hey :wacko:

I dunno about you, but when I've kegged a triple batch each keg had a noticably different flavour. I kegged the beers from the tap.

I've also heard of people kegging in parallel rather than serially in order to homogenise the beer

Are you talking about that flavour BribieG calls "Mouse Plague"? I find that to be far and away the most objectionable thing about Aussie beers.

Can't stand the mouse house flavour... also get washing water...

but if PoR is so bad... then why don't I mind CPA?

But XXXX isn't so bad... and I don't think it uses PoR? does it?

Xxxx :icon_vomit:
It's cluster hops btw, I'm never going near them.

I dunno about you, but when I've kegged a triple batch each keg had a noticably different flavour. I kegged the beers from the tap.

I've also heard of people kegging in parallel rather than serially in order to homogenise the beer

Interesting. Though I'll have to take your word, mate, seeing that I've never fermented anything larger than 25l. My next brew I will bottle two from the start of the pour, then keg, then two bottles at the end and do a side by side comparison. If they taste different, I will suck eggs :p
Cheers.

I get offended when Crown is referred to as a Premium beer.

Not by a long shot if you ask me.

I'm betting the sales figures for crown suggest its not crap.

You don't like a Mazda - dont buy a Mazda. Doesn't make Mazdas a crap car. Just means it doesn't fit your needs or taste in vehicle.

Australian lagers were designed to be drank ice cold and to be thrown down nice and easy. They are a thirst quencher more than anything and I have to admit after a hard slog in the factory over the holidays doing some clean up work for the new year I went to grab a beer. Now I brew at work so I had some homebrews (Doc Smurtos Golden Ale) in the fridge on the mezzanine. But instead I went to the fridge in the board room and grabed a couple of VBs. Cause **** me I was hot, sweaty and tired. I just wanted something with a bit of a bubble and some very mild bitterness that was ice cold. Hit the spot for me. I didn't want something that was packed full of flavour with enough bitterness in the heat to make my mouth do a contortionist act, which is what the DSGA would have been to me in the heat and the way I was feeling.

VBs current marketting campaign is something along the lines of 'The best ice cold beer'...

Would I buy a slab of crownies? No. Not for me - but if I was throwing a party sure I'd buy a slab or two for guests. I don't really drink drink burbon either but I'd buy a bottle or two for guests also.
If I was at a party and crownies were the beer that was available would I drink it - sure.

As for fosters. I believe fosters is brewed to slightly difffernt recipes around the world (I could be wrong though I'm sure someone like TB could give us the low down) to suit the local markets which is why fosters is so popular in the UK where over here its barely stocked. I also believe (though again I could be wrong - its happened in the past) that crown is the old "fosters export" with some much better marketting.

I don't think it is a well put together beer. I think it's a deliberately rushed, homogenised beer that's marketted well (well enough to make people think the price tag is justified). It doesn't hold up against other beers in the same category (premium pale lager).

The thing that irritates me most about crown is that it's shit beer marketted at yuppies who don't know any better but pretend they do. Other CUB beers are marketted at supposed non pretentious 'beer ' drinkers (because beer is beer right?) but crown is the same shit with a pretentious image and a pretentious price tag. Market any pale lager as a working man's beer, drunk cold after a day's work and somehow it doesn't irk me nearly as much. It it what it is. Crown on the other hand, is what it isn't (or isn't what it pretends to be anyway).

Well said Manticle, and on this point about rushed process.....

Was at a mates head wetting ceremony after he had his first child on friday night just gone, and one of our joint guests is an employee of CUB. He knows i brew all grain and was keen to try some of my offerings (which he liked a lot), and in the process of talking about beer, started telling me that you'd be surprised just how quick the process is for most of their beer range.

I said "how quick is quick?"

he replied with "from start to finish, we can knock out a batch in just over 2 days".

Not sure how much truth is in that, or if he's talking out of his arse, but i found it interesting nonetheless.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? TB?

What could they be doing to get a batch done from mash in to in a bottle in less than 3 days?

slightly off topic, but do you think Michael Hussey didnt get the memo yesterday on how to hold his VB during a photo,
Clarke seems to know whats best for it

141373.jpg

Was at a mates head wetting ceremony after he had his first child on friday night just gone, and one of our joint guests is an employee of CUB. He knows i brew all grain and was keen to try some of my offerings (which he liked a lot), and in the process of talking about beer, started telling me that you'd be surprised just how quick the process is for most of their beer range.

he replied with "from start to finish, we can knock out a batch in just over 2 days".

Not sure how much truth is in that, or if he's talking out of his arse, but i found it interesting nonetheless.

What could they be doing to get a batch done from mash in to in a bottle in less than 3 days?

They must pitch a lot of yeast! :blink: They obviously forgo secondary fermentation and filter the beer. No surprise then that homebrewers don't like their beer. :mellow:

Way to fast according to head ex brewer at swan and current worker there who talked about it last year. Swan produces heaps of mega swill under license in WA and I seem to remember the guys in the know talking fermentation of 5 or 6 days and then it goes to bright beer tanks where I think they hold 80,000 liters each. Can't remember at what stage the beer was blended but that's more time. Maybe he was talking about a particular stage during the process when he said two days.

Way to fast according to head ex brewer at swan and current worker there who talked about it last year. Swan produces heaps of mega swill under license in WA and I seem to remember the guys in the know talking fermentation of 5 or 6 days and then it goes to bright beer tanks where I think they hold 80,000 liters each. Can't remember at what stage the beer was blended but that's more time. Maybe he was talking about a particular stage during the process when he said two days.

yeah that's what i thought, that it was a particular process. but i quizzed him about it and asked him to clarify, and he definitely indicated they can knock out an entire batch from doughing in, to being on the bottling line in that amount of time.

Obviously talking crap.

Didn't believe him in the first place, just thought i'd ask the question here anyway.....

cheers,

BN

yeah that's what i thought, that it was a particular process. but i quizzed him about it and asked him to clarify, and he definitely indicated they can knock out an entire batch from doughing in, to being on the bottling line in that amount of time.

Obviously talking crap.

Didn't believe him in the first place, just thought i'd ask the question here anyway.....

cheers,

BN
Hmmm, makes you wonder if he deserved any home brew in the first place...

yep, either not knowing what they're talking about in the least, or just plain not telling the truth.

I buy crownies for relatives who are sure its better than other beer..... I dont buy it for me.

Back