How Bigs Your Hose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
Can some one please help me out with a quick coupla' questions.

Im assuming all the taps that fit into fermenters are the same size. Am I right? If thats the case what size hose do I need to buy to rack between one tap to another tap? Do you fit the hose inside of the outlet or on the outside?

Go for outside fitting mine is 15mm O.D. looks to be about 12mm ID. Fits onto the Bunnings or Coopers old style fermenter taps.
Pushes on nice and snug.

Just measured the tap spout 12mm.

the silicone hose sold by sponsors fits it sweet and you can boil / sanitize / wash it real well

the silicone hose sold by sponsors fits it sweet and you can boil / sanitize / wash it real well

Doesn't fit so neat if you have the green and yellow flip top ones...............trust me and a floor full of beer

I was looking at the clear hoses in bunnings the other day, they have a lot of different sizes. Was just going to measure the taps inner and outer diameter and get the best fit for either. I think i read in htb that Palmer puts the hose on the inside ? I dont think it will really matter. I think fitting on the outside seems to be the easier and most logical option. But Palmer seems to know all, so i think there might be a reason for him deciding to fit the hose on the inside?

I promised myself a few days ago that I would behave on here. I've tried, rooly and trooly to do so. My last several posts (or more) have been both on-topic, and helpful.....

but when I see a thread entitled "How Bigs Your Hose?"....C'MON! HELP A BRUTHA OUT!!.....I'm trying to behave, but all that goes through my mind is ...... giggity. Giggity Goo.

@mods...not my fault, fellas. The OP started it. Rooly and trooly.

B)

further off topic grammar-nazi comment....the correct contraction of "big is" is "big's". Just sayin'.

The ultimate mash hose

rubber-hoses-532347.jpg

I was looking at the clear hoses in bunnings the other day,

For the lousy few dollars the hose will cost you go to your HBS and get a food grade one,
or get one mailed from a decent brew shop.

Take your tap with you, or lash out and buy a new tap that fits the supplied hose. I geta new tap
every year as the old one gets a bit yuck and they'er hard to clean perfectly.

It will be worth it it the long run.

For the lousy few dollars the hose will cost you go to your HBS and get a food grade one,
or get one mailed from a decent brew shop.

Alot of the "clear hoses" at bunnings are food grade.

Yes the Bunnings pvc hoses (in the hose and irrigation section) are "food grade", although I couldn't find a pack with less than 5 meters for about $15, I didn't really need that much. On the way home I saw a Clark Rubber and found that they sold food grade clear PVC by the meter ($4). The tubing from Clark Rubber was 12.5mm diameter and fits snugly over the outside of the tap spout

As DJR said, go for a Silicon hose. If your LHBS does not stock it ask them to get it for you. If they can't then "tell em to get suffed".
The one I use fits over the tap outlet tightly.

Fear_n_loath

Back