How Big Can A Herms Get

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrosnan

Reaction score
Hi all,

My current system consists of a 36Lt cylindrical esky and 2 30Lt urns, one for HL and the other is the kettle. I have a 20Lt urn that I use as the heat exchanger for the HERMS. I've had this setup for a few years and I feel the itch to upscale. Question is how big can a HERMS get. Could I go up to 50 or even 75Lt batches? An input appreciated. Oh and I should say that this is an all electric system and I'd like to keep it that way.

Hi all,

My current system consists of a 36Lt cylindrical esky and 2 30Lt urns, one for HL and the other is the kettle. I have a 20Lt urn that I use as the heat exchanger for the HERMS. I've had this setup for a few years and I feel the itch to upscale. Question is how big can a HERMS get. Could I go up to 50 or even 75Lt batches? An input appreciated. Oh and I should say that this is an all electric system and I'd like to keep it that way.

You can go really big. i'm pretty sure kooinda brewery use some kinds of HERMS and they do 400L batches

Hi all,

afaik there is no limit. it depends on alot of factors. maybe try a search for chappo's dedicated herms guide - that should WILL help you. im playing with a setup consisting of 2 x 75ltr vessles (HLT and MLT), a 50ltr HE and a 100ltr kettle.

good luck with your build mate.

_WALLACE_

i do 50 liter batches with a herms.

You could go as big as you want...... it all comes back to sizing vessels, pump and heat input apropriatly

You can go really big. i'm pretty sure kooinda brewery use some kinds of HERMS and they do 400L batches

Yep they do. There was an article in brew and brewer magazine and I think they said they thought it could be the biggest HERMS in existence. IIRC one of the guys is some sort of steel fabricator and they did it themselves. I think they actually get on here occasionally so might be able to comment further...

Thanks gentlemen. I'll have a look at the sources you recommend. I don't suppose anyone's cooked up a formula over the various vessels and flow rates?

afaik there is no limit. it depends on alot of factors. maybe try a search for chappo's dedicated herms guide - that should WILL help you. im playing with a setup consisting of 2 x 75ltr vessles (HLT and MLT), a 50ltr HE and a 100ltr kettle.

good luck with your build mate.

_WALLACE_

Sounds about the size I'd be looking at. What's (Watts) powering the vessels? I'd only want the HERMS on the mash tun->HE, the rest of it can get as hot as it likes. Currently I run the sparge water through the HE as well but as the HLT is already temperature controlled it's not essential.

Back