How Are Your Hops Going?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
Hi All,

This post is for those who grow their own hops. This is the thirst year my two hops plants have been growing.

Season 1 - Planted hop rhizomes, minimal growth, spindly plants grow till about 2m high by the end of summer
Season 2 - Plants grew till about 2m, then died, came back to life with some tlc by fellow brew gardener extrodenair.
Season 3 (this season) - Hops grew till about 2m, slowed up a bit, but after watering twice daily have taken off again.

This is how they look now:

hops.jpg

Planted my first rhizome late november, started slowly, thought it actually died in the mail,but has come back to life. Now about 2 m. Just need to find some more space for it to grow up to, and a way of dispatching a possum that seems to be crawling over it each night. Woke up this morning to find possum fur trapped on all the leaves

Will

What time of the year are the rhizomes available to buy?

they don't seem ot be available at all the places on the net i can find. I really want to grow some this year.

Thanks. I'll order some chinook and hersbrucker when they are in at Grumpys.

Sorry to hijack, but what are rhizomes exactly?

berto
its basically the root stock that will produce new shoots when planted.

cheers
big d

Think Ginger, or galangal. These are rhizomes

Will

Here are my Cluster and Hallertau, they spent a year in pots and now they are 2nd year in ground.

tdh

Cluster_1.JPG

well only into my first season and the ol POR is going pretty good (as far as i can tell) up here in the NT. just had another growth spurt and is begining to look good. Can't wait for my first hop cone :)

I received an SMS today that says there are 50-100 flowers on my chinook 'bush', with more still coming out the leaf axils. What's the usual flower-to-cone success rate on a first-season plantt?

TDH,

Theyre going great guns :p . My experience with them in pots is that they very very quickly dry out and need watering almost constantly. Its probably a bit cooler in Adelaide, maybe that helps a bit also. I think i will one day plant them in the ground in a place im happy to let the roots take over.

Cheers.

OR just get a drip system setup so there is dribble of water going in there at certain times

I use my old plastic mash tun to water the hops (I'm sure there's a synergy that the hops can feel). I open the tap to a slow drip and it gets about 10 litres in a cuppla hours.

tdh

Here's a closeup of my Hersbruker - 1st year and in a pot.... in Perth. It would have around 50 flowers at this stage. :)

hops_01.jpg

Back