Quantcast

How Are Your Hops Going?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

BigAl

Reaction score
Hi All,

This post is for those who grow their own hops. This is the thirst year my two hops plants have been growing.

Season 1 - Planted hop rhizomes, minimal growth, spindly plants grow till about 2m high by the end of summer
Season 2 - Plants grew till about 2m, then died, came back to life with some tlc by fellow brew gardener extrodenair.
Season 3 (this season) - Hops grew till about 2m, slowed up a bit, but after watering twice daily have taken off again.

This is how they look now:

hops.jpg

kungy

Reaction score
Planted my first rhizome late november, started slowly, thought it actually died in the mail,but has come back to life. Now about 2 m. Just need to find some more space for it to grow up to, and a way of dispatching a possum that seems to be crawling over it each night. Woke up this morning to find possum fur trapped on all the leaves

Will

Jino

Reaction score
What time of the year are the rhizomes available to buy?

they don't seem ot be available at all the places on the net i can find. I really want to grow some this year.

Jino

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll order some chinook and hersbrucker when they are in at Grumpys.

berto

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack, but what are rhizomes exactly?

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
berto
its basically the root stock that will produce new shoots when planted.

cheers
big d

kungy

Reaction score
Think Ginger, or galangal. These are rhizomes

Will

tdh

Reaction score
Here are my Cluster and Hallertau, they spent a year in pots and now they are 2nd year in ground.

tdh

Cluster_1.JPG

tdh

Reaction score
...and here is Cluster up close

Cluster_2.JPG

tdh

Reaction score
...and now the Hallertau

Hall_1.JPG

tdh

Reaction score
...and now Hallertau up close.

tdh

Hall_2.JPG

bonk

Reaction score
well only into my first season and the ol POR is going pretty good (as far as i can tell) up here in the NT. just had another growth spurt and is begining to look good. Can't wait for my first hop cone :)

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I received an SMS today that says there are 50-100 flowers on my chinook 'bush', with more still coming out the leaf axils. What's the usual flower-to-cone success rate on a first-season plantt?

BigAl

Reaction score
TDH,

Theyre going great guns :p . My experience with them in pots is that they very very quickly dry out and need watering almost constantly. Its probably a bit cooler in Adelaide, maybe that helps a bit also. I think i will one day plant them in the ground in a place im happy to let the roots take over.

Cheers.

Bionic

Reaction score
OR just get a drip system setup so there is dribble of water going in there at certain times

tdh

Reaction score
I use my old plastic mash tun to water the hops (I'm sure there's a synergy that the hops can feel). I open the tap to a slow drip and it gets about 10 litres in a cuppla hours.

tdh

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
Here's a closeup of my Hersbruker - 1st year and in a pot.... in Perth. It would have around 50 flowers at this stage. :)

hops_01.jpg

Latest posts