How about some Co-Op brewery shares for ya dad on Father's Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are registered with fair trading as a co-op. But I would like to see the constitution of the entity prior to being a financial member, are members liability limited to the value of their shares? How many directors and what are their directors qualifications? Are new directors permitted as required or voted on by special resolution. How is each member able to vote at special general meetings and annual general meetings, whats the minimal frequency of formal meetings, can members vote by proxy. Was the co op established as distrubuting or non distrubuting?

A fairer idea would be for 100 people to put in 10K each and raise 1 Mil for a Micro.
Each person gets allocated 3 separate days at the brewery (one to brew, one to package and one to clean/restock).
Remaining 75 days for operational.

edit: Actually, maybe $15k each... Hire a site manager and accounts person.

A fairer idea would be for 100 people to put in 10K each and raise 1 Mil for a Micro.
Each person gets allocated 3 separate days at the brewery (one to brew, one to package and one to clean/restock).
Remaining 75 days for operational.

edit: Actually, maybe $15k each... Hire a site manager and accounts person.
So you've raised the money to establish and build. How do you finance the second year? Or is each person selling the product they make in their 3 days?

A levy paid back to the coop at 0.xx cents a litre brewed. Whatever you make back in profit beyond that is yours to keep.

I doubt that'll be happening. I specifically asked about that in the previous thread (see link to it in post #4 of this thread), because how can you call yourself a co-op and not have your members able to use the equipment? But the replies seemed to confirm my own scepticism.
I couldn't see any replies in the previous thread that say it wouldn't be the case. From recent talks at a group meeting i can say that this is the plan, whether it happens or not it remains to be seen. Of course anyone using the system for themselves would need the right licenses and paperwork.

I couldn't see any replies in the previous thread that say it wouldn't be the case. From recent talks at a group meeting i can say that this is the plan, whether it happens or not it remains to be seen. Of course anyone using the system for themselves would need the right licenses and paperwork.
Good to share stuff though isn't it, breweries, beer equipment, same IP as the OP?

Not having a go at this idea or anyone involved in it, but my 2 cents....

I've been mulling a similar thing in my area as there are no breweries to speak of and gypsy brewing can be difficult.

I'd lean towards a very tight group of people be willing to finance the thing up front and run their own brewery label/s out of the venue.

Then instead of trying to get lots of people to buy in, non operational days can be sold off ahead of time and allowed for in the schedule on a use it or lose it basis. Simply charge on a fee per use model that buys you a brew day, 2 or so weeks of fermenter space, then use of the bottling/kegging/canning equipment. One idea that's been discussed on our end is that each gypsy brings their own fermenter.

This keeps the core group easier to manage, and ownership and responsibility is a lot clearer, but obviously the downside is financing and the bigger up front cost for the owners. However, the way I figure it is that if you want to start any kind of small business you need to be willing to tip in $50 or $100k and acknowledge the possibility you could lose all of it.

If you're able to DIY and build some equipment and do some fit out, I can't see why you couldn't put together a decent brewery for $50k, then have that much again set aside for first year sunk costs.

Good luck with this thing though, it could potentialy work and I'd love to be able to dabble in semi proffesional brewing prior going the whole hog.

Good to share stuff though isn't it, breweries, beer equipment, same IP as the OP?
Nope, just came across the post and thought I'd share some info since I'm involved.
As i said I'm not here to sell anything, couldn't care less if anyone joined or not but sharing info is the basis of the forum

mtb is correct in that I wasn't a member , now I am so I thought it better to separate the two.
I would like to thank everyone who replied although very predictable from wide eyed... and Lionman.
Still the comments far from hurting Hopsters has made it better, no need for focus groups.
We will change you yet Dave70. Anyhow thanks again , still waiting on a reply from bradsbrew ,
that's Ok mate.

First of all I don't think it's a scam, if it was there would be a, 'can't miss this opportunity type of prospectus' and a lot of hype to draw people in, it just seems to be an idea which the guys who initiated it are just going to wing it.
The Boston Hopsters seems to be a success, but I would imagine they would have had some business plan to get people to invest, which seems to be lacking with the Australian one.

Back