How about some Co-Op brewery shares for ya dad on Father's Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
Australia's first Co-Op Brewery is after some more share holders.
If your in NSW , $250 can get you 5 x $50 shares in a soon to be operating brewery.
Go to Hopsters.com.au or Facebook for more info.

I swear there was a thread about something like this on AHB last year..

I swear there was a thread about something like this on AHB last year..
Things take time , if you have been involved in starting any sort of business, things take longer than you wish.
Hopsters have a range of beers now but need some more members . You can come along to the next meeting
and/ or get together.

This isn't the same crew sizing up buying the gear from China last week is it?

How are the books looking so far? Have the investors realized a profit?

And do they pay dividends or retain the earnings? If dividends are payed, are they monetary or in shares value?

Hopsters have a range of beers now
All I can see are the four on this page, but unless I'm mistaken, they don't actually exist yet - the winning recipes from the members-only brewing competition will determine that.

And do they pay dividends or retain the earnings? If dividends are payed, are they monetary or in shares value?

“80% of profits will go to investors pro-rata until 100% of your principal is returned. Hopster’s will then distribute 20% of their profits every year to investors in perpetuity. Investors get paid once a year. If Hopster’s is acquired or goes public you’ll receive a payout equal to your ownership percentage.”

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/20...ewery-fastest-reg-cf-raise-crowdfunding-ever/

“80% of profits will go to investors pro-rata until 100% of your principal is returned. Hopster’s will then distribute 20% of their profits every year to investors in perpetuity. Investors get paid once a year. If Hopster’s is acquired or goes public you’ll receive a payout equal to your ownership percentage.”

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/20...ewery-fastest-reg-cf-raise-crowdfunding-ever/
Which is different to their website info

" Share dividends – The Board will review finances annually and determine whether it is possible, based on the performance and cash flow of the business, to distribute dividends to member shareholders."

Edit- WEAL's post makes sense

I'll state straight up that i am a member and that my goal here isn't to sell membership to anyone but to maybe provide some answers.

Firstly the co-op to date has been in the start up phase and so obviously isn't selling anything yet.

The core range beers have been decided on and recipes nailed down. The goal is to get these beers to public asap through gypsy brewing before cash flow allows the investment into a 200L pilot system which will hopefully then flow on to investment into bigger system.

I'm an sure if there is any affiliation with the US hopsters but to my knowledge this is a separate venture.

The goal of hopsters isn't to make money and if you asked any owner of a brewering they'd tell you the same thing. If you want to make money start a bar, you start a brewery to do and share something you love.

Personally I see hopsters as a kind of beer club with the opportunity to get your beers to the public.
The goal is community driven beer in the same vein as the historical brewing of beers in German towns like Einbeck which had a town kettle that was shared around to produce a famous beer style that is still around today (bock).

Last edited:
why should i invest..location of where the brewery is would help and what do i get for my hard earned dollar..

why should i invest..location of where the brewery is would help and what do i get for my hard earned dollar..

HOPSTERS COMMUNITY MEMBERSHIP ($250)
– Lifetime membership to Hopsters Co-operative Brewery Limited.

– 5 x $50 shares in the brewery and exclusive opportunity to purchase additional shares at the par value at time of membership.

– Voting power at Annual General Meeting

– 10% member discount at tasting bar and online purchases (if and when available)

– Access to new brew tastings and social events

– Membership discount on brewing events & community brew services

– Opportunity to apply to volunteer to work in brewery

– Members have the ability to nominate to stand for open positions on the Board

– Member Driven Beer: Members may have the opportunity to have a say in the beer your brewery brews.

– Member-only happy hours

– Member exclusive events & education – participate in members-only events such as beer tasting, homebrew workshops, beer release parties, and much more!

– Share dividends – The Board will review finances annually and determine whether it is possible, based on the performance and cash flow of the business, to distribute dividends to member shareholders.

– Purchase bulk brewing ingredients – members may be able to benefit from the brewery’s purchase of bulk ingredients and buy ingredients for their own home brewing endeavors!

– Receive the Hopsters e-newsletter, providing information about member only events, beer releases, and more!

I can't find a location on their website but I think its in Sydney.

Personally I can't see $250 value in there.

For me it's having the opportunity to learn how to take my home brewing to professional level and find out what it takes to own and run a brewery.

There are a few pro brewers involved and learning from them on a large system, which could then be used to brew my own beers commercially is the upside.

The brewery will be in Sydney, most likely inner west but don't have a venue yet

For me it's having the opportunity to learn how to take my home brewing to professional level and find out what it takes to own and run a brewery.

There are a few pro brewers involved and learning from them on a large system, which could then be used to brew my own beers commercially is the upside.

The brewery will be in Sydney, most likely inner west but don't have a venue yet

You could probably get the same from a number of craft breweries around the place if you are that way inclined, and they actually have a brewery. A number of brew clubs already have access to commercial breweries from time to time and do big batch brew days etc.

I'm skeptical a member ship in such a club will give many real advantages.

You could probably get the same from a number of craft breweries around the place if you are that way inclined, and they actually have a brewery. A number of brew clubs already have access to commercial breweries from time to time and do big batch brew days etc.

I'm skeptical a member ship in such a club will give many real advantages.
Yeah that's fair enough.
I guess my view is that once they have one they will allow members to gypsy brew on non brew days. Since hiring a brewery for the day can cost in the range of $1500, $250 one off seems cheap. Maybe a bigger risk but bigger upside.

Yeah that's fair enough.
I guess my view is that once they have one they will allow members to gypsy brew on non brew days. Since hiring a brewery for the day can cost in the range of $1500, $250 one off seems cheap. Maybe a bigger risk but bigger upside.

I would be surprised if the brewery will be offered at no cost. There is maintenance and energy costs as well as insurance etc. The co-op will need to charge to cover these costs.

I guess my view is that once they have one they will allow members to gypsy brew on non brew days.

I doubt that'll be happening. I specifically asked about that in the previous thread (see link to it in post #4 of this thread), because how can you call yourself a co-op and not have your members able to use the equipment? But the replies seemed to confirm my own scepticism.

Latest posts

Back