House Pale Ale using all local ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've read it in every brewing book and pretty much every top brewer tip and now I think it's time to do it - make a great house beer and nail it again and again and again to dial my process in.

I'm thinking that a Pale Ale is the way to go - everyone loves a Pale Ale (I love Pale Ale so everyone else must too).

I would love to use all local ingredients if possible for several reasons:
1) Keep it local
2) Keep it fresh
3) For a beer that I will brew regularly it will work out heaps cheaper
4) I live about 1/2 hour away from Hop Products Australia farm in Tas and can get hold of Not For Horses Malt pretty easily

The only things that won't be local will be specialty grains (tempting, but return on effort makes it dubious) and yeast.

I'm planning to base it loosely on an American Pale Ale at ~ 1050 OG and would love some pointers on hopping using only hops that I can source from HPA:

- Ella
- Helga
- Super Pride
- Topaz
- Australian Cascade
- Vic Secret
- Galaxy
- Enigma

I want this to be a nice, clean, tasty beer that I won't get bored of. I think I'll stay away from dry hopping, but maybe from time to time will split a batch and dry hop half of it.

Cheers
James

HPA.JPG

After reading through the descriptions super pride looks like the way to go for bittering and Aus. Cascade for flavour. Has anybody used aus cascade?

Quick qu- you can purchase small amounts from HPA?
I always presumed it was bulk/wholesale only.

Pretty sure HDA has sold AU cascade to users here so there should be some experience here.

I recently saw NFH at the Moonah shop. Where are you getting it?

PS: I did reply to your PM re: catch up a while back in case you missed it.

I like the chart thanks for posting

I need to brew a house ale to redeem myself from my last rushed effort

Clean then ferment low

Keep it fresh then dink it within 2 months :)

For price dial back the ABV it might not need to be 1050 for the floral flavour bitterness but tasting will tell

Hops well you are in the box seat over there

I have been brewing for awhile but only as a mug so disregard my comments at will

Also thanks for posting the chart great stuff very broad though

Once you nail it let us know

A pale ale needs a good dry hop or at least a hopback to get some aromatics to lead you into the beer.

This is my current house ale I'm fine tuning, you can swap out the US hops as shown.

OG 1052
FG 1012
ABV 5.3%
IBU 32
EBC 12

75% JW ale
15% JW Vienna
6% Rolled Oats or Wheat
4% JW Light Crystal

Mashed at 66c for 60mins + mashout

Mash pH to be 5.4, sulphate to 225ppm, chloride to 70ppm

60min boil

Simcoe @ 60m = 15ibu - use super pride

Amarillo/Centennial @ 5m = 17ibu - use Galaxy and Enigma

Fermented with US05 @ 18c

Dry hopped with 2.5g/L of this combo at 21c for 3days - Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo - use Galaxy/Ella/Enigma

Thanks Pratty,

Sounds delicious. What would your thoughts be for no chilling this recipe? 5 min hops straight into cube?

jbaker9 said:
Thanks Pratty,

Sounds delicious. What would your thoughts be for no chilling this recipe? 5 min hops straight into cube?
I've no chilled it a couple of times, instead of into the cube, I add at flameout/end of boil and hop stand for 5mins, then whirlpool it with the mash paddle and by the time I have emptied the cleaner from the cube and sanitised it, its ready for transfer, usually 10mins since end of boil.

The amount of hops to use is calculated to be a 20min boil, which is alot less than a 5min addition. its gets the same IBU but the flavour is lower. Chilled uses more hops and imparts more flavour I have found.

damoninja said:
An underrated gem. I need to get some more of these hops.
Six String just released a seasonal ELLA single hop IPA.

It was good to try and get that aroma and flavour profile. I think it would pair nicely with Simcoe or Centennial

A nice session ale I brewed which was needed fast (put 30% wheat in it) had about 18ibu's being something like 9ibus at 60m and 9ibus at 30m, US05
I find that wheat gives a nice pop to the beer - makes it brighter in the mouth. Not sure about that malt but I guess you'd have to weigh up what mash temp to go with. If it's 100% ale malt I would mash maybe a bit lower than 66, especially if the ibu's are going to be moderate.

For a day to day beer an OG of 1044 even 1042 with an FG around 1008 will still give you 4.6 - 4.8% but more neckable than a 1050-1012beer

All personal preference of course, everyone's different

Can't see why you couldn't work on isolating a yeast strain if you really want to call it your own, not that I've been arsed to do it yet meeself lol

Back