House of Malt - New Craft Malthouse selling to Homebrewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

House of Malt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are a brand new Craft Malthouse based in Ballarat, Victoria. We are mainly focused on Craft Brewers, but want to make our malts available direct to Home Brewers as well!

We do (very) small batches (500kg) on our floor malting system.

As we are starting out, our products will be limited, but we will be adding more malt varieties as soon as we are able to.

We currently have our Australian Ale Malt (our base malt, similar in style to Maris Otter), Munich Malt and Amber Malt available for sale. We are looking at developing a Dark Munich Malt, Crystal Malt and Wheat Malt before too long, and longer term plans to offer a full suite of roasted, crystal and smoked malts, as well as a variety of different grains. Our barley is currently sourced directly off farm.

We currently have our malts available in 1kg, 2kg, 5kg and 25kg bags. We are looking into a 10kg option as well. We don't currently offer custom sizes, or blends of different malts, but will look into that as we progress. We also do not offer a milling service, again we will be looking at this in the future.

We offer Australia-wide shipping and, if you live close enough, we would be happy for you to drop in to pick up your goods. We look forward to seeing you over at houseofmalt.com.au.

House of Malt

Hi everyone,

We are a brand new Craft Malthouse based in Ballarat, Victoria. We are mainly focused on Craft Brewers, but want to make our malts available direct to Home Brewers as well!

We do (very) small batches (500kg) on our floor malting system.

As we are starting out, our products will be limited, but we will be adding more malt varieties as soon as we are able to.

We currently have our Australian Ale Malt (our base malt, similar in style to Maris Otter), Munich Malt and Amber Malt available for sale. We are looking at developing a Dark Munich Malt, Crystal Malt and Wheat Malt before too long, and longer term plans to offer a full suite of roasted, crystal and smoked malts, as well as a variety of different grains. Our barley is currently sourced directly off farm.

We currently have our malts available in 1kg, 2kg, 5kg and 25kg bags. We are looking into a 10kg option as well. We don't currently offer custom sizes, or blends of different malts, but will look into that as we progress. We also do not offer a milling service, again we will be looking at this in the future.

We offer Australia-wide shipping and, if you live close enough, we would be happy for you to drop in to pick up your goods. We look forward to seeing you over at houseofmalt.com.au.

House of Malt

Well if your ale malt is more Marris Otter as you say rather than Joe White - it might be worth giving it a go.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Best of luck. I will pick up a sack of your Australian Ale Malt for a try.

Where are the COA's. Anyone can make malt, its a very different matter to produce consistent quality product. Like brewing really, it isn't hard to make beer but consistent quality beer takes knowledge and skill.
Also what makes it "Maris" like, Maris being a variety so what is your malt made from? Or is it just that its floor malted like some Maris (most isn't floor malted - just the TF really).

Good luck, seriously no doubt you have a lot invested in in this and I will always support an Australian producer of quality products, but that's a two way street.
Mark

Thanks for the feedback MHB, I'm more than happy to provide more information.

CoA's will be provided for every malt purchased, I have also added some Indicative Analysis numbers in the product descriptions on the website, if you are interested in that.

Consistency is obviously paramount, and I have designed my floor malting system with the ability to control a number of variables in order to keep a consistent product. I designed the whole system myself, calling on my knowledge from being in the malting industry for a number of years.

Saying it is "similar in style" to Maris Otter is more of an indication of which malt you would substitute it for. If you were making a lager, I would not recommend you use our Australian Ale Malt for that, but any recipe that you use Maris Otter in, this malt would be perfect in. It has a rich malt flavour, and favourable processing specifications (high extract, good friability, low viscosity), and of course it is floor malted, which is a nod to the maltsters in the UK who still floor malt Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett, Crisp and Warminster).

The current stock I have was made using Westminster barley, and going forward I have secured La Trobe barley direct off-farm, which will see me through until next harvest.

Any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer.

Thanks,
Drew

Hi guys,

Just letting you all know that we now have our Aromatic Malt and Crystal Malt available for sale!
Check the website for more details.

Thanks,
House of Malt

**DECEMBER SALE!**

Happy December everybody!

We are offering up to 20% discount on all of our malts for the month of December!
If you weren't sure about trying our malts out yet, now is the perfect time to stock up! You might even get something special ready to drink by Christmas Day!
Head to the website to check it out. https://houseofmalt.com.au/

Thanks,
House of Malt

Tried to estimate an order, but got bounced back?
upload_2018-12-1_9-34-26.png

May affect others -> effect sales. (not too sure on the grammar, either)

My apologies. It seems there was an update, and the plugin broke.
I seem to have it sorted out now, so you should be able to see a shipping price.

Thanks,
House of Malt

Shame about the prohibitive shipping costs. Malt $55, delivery $77. No deal. :-(

Shame about the prohibitive shipping costs. Malt $55, delivery $77. No deal. :-(
Whereabouts are you? Your profile says Sydney.
A sack of grain to Sydney appears to be $38 you sure you didn't add 2 sacks?

Shipping in Aus is very expensive though.
I never understand why it's cheaper to get things shipped from China than it is from the other side of town.

I never understand why it's cheaper to get things shipped from China than it is from the other side of town.

The same reason we pay more for domestic gas than the countries we sell it to.

Whereabouts are you? Your profile says Sydney.
A sack of grain to Sydney appears to be $38 you sure you didn't add 2 sacks?

The Chinese government subsidizes shipping for Chinese retailers to promote exporting
The US government subsidizes postage for stuff coming form China for the same reason
No Idea if we do the same

The Chinese government subsidizes shipping for Chinese retailers to promote exporting
The US government subsidizes postage for stuff coming form China for the same reason
No Idea if we do the same

Do you really think OUR politicians are that switched on?
After all we want free trade they say.

Back