Hottest 100 Craft Beers of 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
150 Lashes... does that even count as 'craft' beer?
but I guess, whatever gets more people not drinking New/XXXX etc
Exactly right there SBOB!

Happy to see pirate life and the Karma Citra right up there.

quantum8 said:
Exactly right there SBOB!

Happy to see pirate life and the Karma Citra right up there.
Had a Pirate Life the other week, and its definitely tasty but at $13-$15 a can its definitely an expensive drop

SBOB said:
Had a Pirate Life the other week, and its definitely tasty but at $13-$15 a can its definitely an expensive drop
But the can is big and at 8.8% ABV it's probably got 2 and a bit stubbies worth of alcohol in it. And tastes a hell of a lot better that a lot of other 4.7% beers in a 375 (or 330) mL bottle/can

Mattrox said:
But the can is big and at 8.8% ABV it's probably got 2 and a bit stubbies worth of alcohol in it. And tastes a hell of a lot better that a lot of other 4.7% beers in a 375 (or 330) mL bottle/can
no argument with the logic, but when browsing the beer isle variety of selection often trumps straight Alc%/$ :)

Yob said:
War hog.. There are no others
Dafuq?

War hog.. That is all
I've had it a few times. On tap at the brewery, on tap elsewhere and in the bottle. It has great flavour and aroma etc however on at least 1 occasion it was quite astringent so Im not sold just yet.

SBOB said:
With the cost of ingredients in that beer i wouldnt think Pirate Life would be making any greater profit margin on it than their other beers. To make a beer like that would take considerable hops.

danestead said:
With the cost of ingredients in that beer i wouldnt think Pirate Life would be making any greater profit margin on it than their other beers. To make a beer like that would take considerable hops.
Also $3.74 excise per litre compared to $1.87 for a 5% beer!

I haven't had decent beer in ages. Never had any eastern states micro brew beer, but I'm lucky enough to live in WA, so back in the day used to go to little creatures and feral every week or so.
Also used to go to bobby dazzlers in the city a lot. It was the only place to get coopers on tap, plus Nail was operating there and I'd often hammer down a nail.
Never knew before what happened to the guy that was brewing nail, it just shut down one day. Sorry to read what happened to him - I only ever found out due to this thread/top 100 list.

pablo_h said:
I haven't had decent beer in ages. Never had any eastern states micro brew beer, but I'm lucky enough to live in WA, so back in the day used to go to little creatures and feral every week or so.
Also used to go to bobby dazzlers in the city a lot. It was the only place to get coopers on tap, plus Nail was operating there and I'd often hammer down a nail.
Never knew before what happened to the guy that was brewing nail, it just shut down one day. Sorry to read what happened to him - I only ever found out due to this thread/top 100 list.
You mean John Stallwood? Pretty sure they are still going great guns mate.

danestead said:
You mean John Stallwood? Pretty sure they are still going great guns mate.
Nah, he stopped for a while in 2004 and closed down. I only knew it was reopened due to this beer list.
Did some digging on why it closed (that was the sorry to read part)and it's re-opening which was news to me.
From landline

"he founded the first microbrewery in Perth's CBD, the same year he launched his Signature label... And while it wasn't a big money spinner, the beer and its creator were gaining industry respect. But just when the business was starting to take off, his dreams were shattered one night in 2004. He wound up in hospital after going to the rescue of strangers involved in a fight in Fremantle.

JOHN STALLWOOD: First of all I was protecting the three girls but then the three girls attacked the bloke and I was protecting him. Then a bloke who was a friend of the three girls punched me and I hit the pavement badly.

VERONICA BUCK: After a single punch to the head, he hit the pavement with such force that his skull was described as concave. Doctors say it was remarkable he woke from the coma he was in for 10 days.

JOHN STALLWOOD: I couldn't talk and was confused and lost 10 kilos in 10 days and, yeah, so it was a stressing time for the family.

JENNIFER STALLWOOD, SISTER: The hardest thing was seeing him in the coma with all the tubes and the fact that we actually got to know what every little needle meant and every little machine meant because those dials held his life in the balance.

VERONICA BUCK: He spent nine months in and out of hospital and now has a titanium plate inside his head.

JOHN STALLWOOD: So the titanium is in my head here and you can see the big scar, if I didn't have hair on my head you would be able to see, which is pretty big.

JENNIFER STALLWOOD: Absolutely devastating, it was probably personally, and I am sure my sister and my parents would agree, probably the worst experience that we've ever been through in our lives.

VERONICA BUCK: Unable to work, he was forced to sell his brewing equipment, a move he described as gut wrenching. The fledgling business could quite easily have ended there

JOHN STALLWOOD: I would have gone bankrupt if it wasn't because of my family and like my family and friends have helped me so much, that's where I'm lucky."
Like I said, I never knew what happened to him or why nail ale in bobby dazzlers closed.

Latest posts

Back