Hot wort in plastic fermenter ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coodgee

Reaction score
Is it ok to put hot wort (~80-90 degrees) into a common plastic 30L barrel fermenter? Are they made out of the same stuff as the cubes that people use for no chill?

I have a concern about chemical leaching, but that's just me..

Would not put 80-90 degrees wort into a fermenter they are not all HDPE and the heat does make soft and can distort the cube its put in hot and sealed where you can not do to a fermenter and if you put hot into the fermenter its going to take a long time to cool down and could get infected.

thanks guys I'll check that it's HDPE type 2 before I go ahead. I just need to pump my wort into a fermenter pre-boil as part of a convoluted wort collection process.

I've put hot into fermenters many times and it hasn't even softened. No flavour changes. infections or resulting monsterism after drinking the beer.

I wouldn't pour hot into my blue bunnings jobbies though, they're a pretty substandard item in terms of molding quality, sealing, etc. So I wouldn't trust that plastic either.

I've put hot into fermenters many times and it hasn't even softened. No flavour changes. infections or resulting monsterism after drinking the beer.

I wouldn't pour hot into my blue bunnings jobbies though, they're a pretty substandard item in terms of molding quality, sealing, etc. So I wouldn't trust that plastic either.
I've put hot wort into those blue bunnings jerry cans.
No extra fingers grown as yet.

Any issue around the tap seal? As it is I have to use teflon tape to improve the plastic tap seal at the bottom of my fermenter to prevent leaks (and that's at room temp) - could hot wort compromise that seal in either the short or long term? I think I need to switch the stainless for my fermenter(s) with a decent tap..

Back