Hot Weather Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I been happily brewing through the cooler temp pushing that London Ale yeast batch after batch ,

Mashed a batch of my favourite Thames Valley Welsh bitter, put the tired old yeast in, big starter, fermented without a Krausen perhaps the temperature was a bit warm , did not bothe r putting an airlock in ( rarely do )did not have the fermenter in the bath of water with the iceblocks ,It has not fermented out properly, it tastes a bit bland ,smells a bit sour..

This is just a message that the warm weather is coming and dont get a bit complacent like I did .

I am loathed to chuck it away as some of my worst tasting brews out of the primary after a bit of time can end up really nice.

Bugger well I wont make the same mistake again

do you have some brew that you neglected that turned around to give me hope ???.

Pumpy

Not sure I can offer you a ray of hope Pumpy, but I sure know what you mean. I made a brew last week, couldn't keep the temperature down and decided that that's the last brew of the year for me. (Unless I can get a fermentation fridge. :p )

Don't chuck it. You never know. And if it doesn't come good you can always serve it to guests you want to get rid of. :eek:

Stuart

im starting to prep for summer brewing by insulating a storage box to hold the cold better

You just need to embrace beers that like it warm, like Belgians! (yes, I know, always harping on about the bloody Belgians).

I hear that Chimay is fermented at about 29 degrees, but I'm nowhere near that game :)

Pumpy sorry to be all doom and gloom, but my last ale brewed in a water/iced bath turned sour. I suspected that the water may have past though the plastic fermenter into the wort and due to the water not being changed for a week or 3 may have infected the beer, possibly but that was my guess.

warm weather brewing is a sinch.its the future cold weather brewing that has me worried when i move down south.to many temperature fluctuations.

cheers
big d

Get a big 1100 litre fermentation freezer with external thermostat an all your problems will be solved :p

Doc

Doc said:
Get a big 1100 litre fermentation freezer with external thermostat an all your problems will be solved :p

Doc
[post="89963"][/post]​
That's what I did (though the freezers are not that big) :beer:

Stuart thats a good idea give it too my friends I want to get rid of (and pick up the insurance money)

Barls perhaps I better bottle that Pilsner Urquell been hanging around in the fermenting fridge for three weeks CC.

Barfridge that Chimay was nice .

Big D yep temp fluctuations it was surely cold when I started somewhere it got hot !!! :huh:

Doc Fermentation freezer , my wife wont let me take the othe half of the garage with brewing equipment :(

Pumpy

hey pumpy ill tell you what send it my way and ill look after it for you

big d said:
warm weather brewing is a sinch.its the future cold weather brewing that has me worried when i move down south.to many temperature fluctuations.

cheers
big d
[post="89960"][/post]​

big d,
Simply solution - don't move back down south.

Got an old dead fridge >place fermenter in the bottom and use ice bricks rotated morning and night during summer(southern) 18/20 c constant, perfect for ales.

like this. thanks again Timmy

fridge_1web.jpg

the lure of the sand is too much to bear ntboozer.
plus the west has lots of micro,s i havent been to yet.

cheers
big d

Pumpy, you definately need a fermentation fridge or freezer as Doc suggested.

You know, only real brewers use............etc!

C&B
TDA

big d said:
the lure of the sand is too much to bear ntboozer.
plus the west has lots of micro,s i havent been to yet.

cheers
big d
[post="89979"][/post]​

big d,
Yeah plenty of nice micro's to visit. Did a trip last X'mas (04).

Sand without crocs and stingers- now that's a novel idea.

now time for a NT / Tropical brewing question - I'm slowly getting all the kit together for AG (found a burner today for the kettle, urn for the HLT and decided to buy the copper for the (esky) mash tun manifold (mate came thru with the SS tube but no fittings and no TIG welding - a few calls later - big $$$'s to get it all done v's $25 for copper tube and a dozen fittings (spares) - no brainer really).
I'm now looking for a cooler. Was considering a chiller from Morebeer (WC90 : Chillus Convolutus) - what are your recommendation give Darwin tap water temps would be similar to yours up there in ALand?
cheers
nt
:beer:

Pumpy,

Swmbo has just given me permission to build a cold room on the side of the house :) - & as luck would have it, the daughter's boyfriend's family own a business making them - Life couldn't be sweeter :D ...

almost time of the year for saison making - last summer i made 4 of em with WLP 565 each fermented at about 33 and they were yummy.

TDA Mark I do have one Fermentation fridge it full of Pilsner Urquell at the moment , I have inherited a another fridge and a freezer ( daughter left and returned (damn)and I am busy making a couple of thermostats for them so I can make good use of them until she moves back out(If). :eek:

Ross, I just know one day you really want to convert your house into a Pub its all heading that way . :)

Neomate yes this bitter is heading down the way of a Saison or Bierre de Guarde a bit on the sour side, I had a Belgian ale today Jee!! they improve with age only trouble is if I have two I keep on falling over :blink:

Pumpy

Back