Hot Water For Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
As i have got all the basics for AG i was wondering what do u blokes use to heat up the mash/sparge water? When i was doing partials i could get away with a 15 litre pot but with AG we are talking about a lot more water. I was thinking about trying to get my hands one one of those big old urn's, but i have no idea where i would find one. As i would need about 10 litres for the mash & up to 20 for the sparge.
So what do you bloke use?

I use a 20L urn I got from an auction, only cost $15 and looks the part. Depending on the amount of grain you are mashing you can easily need 16L of strike water. I find this one is ok, I just refill half hour before sparging so the sparge water is up to temperature. :)

30L urn would be ideal, I can squeeze about 23L in this one.

I use my kettle for heating both strike and sparge water. I boil the spargewater and run it through my CFC, without cooling, to sanitise it

Jovial Monk

Ive done 5 a.g.brews using a 12 litre stock pot and a 5 litre saucepan ( I have boiling water in the saucepan to adjust temp.) I batch sparge in 5 litre batches so again my stock pot is o.k. I Hope to find a urn sometime like Jason but will brew on till then Cheers Jethro

Use your 15 L pot to heat the 'dough in' water..mash in..then refill it for heating the sparge water....recirculate then drain the mash into a 30 L bucket with a valve and PVC tube attatched...throw the sparge water into the mash...drain bucket back into the pot with no splashing...carry remaining sparge into this pot plus another (15 L is too small)....

I did this for the first 3 all grain attempts.....

I use a 30 ltr urn....

Back