Hot Water Brownie Points

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edschache

Reaction score
So I went to turn the hot water tap on the other day to wash some bottles and a keg in prep for beer that's at the end of fermentation. Saying that I was going to spend time on beer having spent the morning at work hadn't gone down too well but I had to get it done. After a minute or so I noticed it was still cold.... oh crap.

I spent about 10mins playing with the hlt... I mean hot water system and realised that the pilot light just refuses to stay lit. Something else to get fixed :(

So I went back up stairs (already in trouble) to announce that there was no hot water. I get the whole "WHAT, I was just about to have a shower!.... something something blah blah blah" followed a few minutes later by "I didn't think it was that hot on Friday afternoon when I used it". Doh. If I'd known Saturday morning I could've had it fixed without taking time off work to meet a tradie.

And then in a moment of sheer genius.... I come out with the brownie point sentence of the year "I could always heat some water up in my urn so you can have a bath". :icon_cheers:

So... should I buy a grain mill or a plate chiller or just spend more time laying down some brews while I still have brownie points to burn? If anyone else is getting crap about spending too much time on beer I can strongly suggest letting your hot water system break so that your brewery can save the day.

Cheers,

Ed

If you bought a 200 litre braumeister you'd need to get the hot water heater fixed.

Or bathe in the BM.

That urn has just gone up in value, I'd suggest the brew rig could be successfully moved into the bedroom...

Was it gas unit by any chance? If your going down the replacement road for it check out Gumtree. There is a pretty good selection of second hand ones that are still pretty young and in good nick. people are just trying to make $100 bucks after switching to the solar rebate deal. Old fellas a gas and plumber and he just replaced my mates for under 200 including parts and 60 on the continues flow unit. anyway may save ya a few hundred if you can find a good one.

That urn has just gone up in value, I'd suggest the brew rig could be successfully moved into the bedroom...

Was it gas unit by any chance? If your going down the replacement road for it check out Gumtree. There is a pretty good selection of second hand ones that are still pretty young and in good nick. people are just trying to make $100 bucks after switching to the solar rebate deal. Old fellas a gas and plumber and he just replaced my mates for under 200 including parts and 60 on the continues flow unit. anyway may save ya a few hundred if you can find a good one.

It's a gas unit and it's just failing to hold the pilot light so I'm hoping it's either fixable or a simple part to swap out rather than the whole unit.

Or bathe in the BM.

maybe I can call it a spa bath if it has a few aeration stones in the bottom of it..... hmmmm...

buy a grain mill.

that way you can buy sacks of grain in bulk buys for cheap and mill them at your convenience.

see -- you get some brewery bling and you're saving money.

much easier to sell to the missus :)

So... should I buy a grain mill or a plate chiller or just spend more time laying down some brews while I still have brownie points to burn?
HERMS or RIMS unit seems most appropriate to me, it would keep her bathwater nice and warm no matter how long she wanted to soak for.

Latest posts

Back