Hot Rocks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
I have been doing some research into different techniques/methods used to make beer.

Apparently, some breweries used heated rocks to maintain a good rolling boil.
The hot rocks (think they were a form of granite) were super heated to 3500 degrees and dropped into the kettle.
The idea is that as the wort hits the rocks surface - u got instant caramelisation and smokiness and some peculiarities.
These rocks were then added into the secondary as well for added flavour.

As i am formulating my Theakstons Peculiar recipe - i am investigating this as a possible method.

A mate back in Canberra has used rocks heated in a mexican chimea and added them to his kettle - he is making a Rauchbier.

What are peoples thoughts.

Does anyone have some hot rocks that i could use in an experiment...

ive read of this ken sounds interesting.no hot rocks but a fair bit of granite around but would be bloody expensive to send.
word of warning ken.adding very hot rocks to the wort could cause violent reactions.possibly the rock could shatter so experiment some but use caution.not to mention the steam and flashing wort. :ph34r:

cheers
big d

Hi GMK

Is 3500 degrees a typo, should it be 350 degrees? I think lava is 1200 degrees so if you hit the wort that high you would have a mini mount st helens.
Be very careful

Andrew

:lol: :lol:

Yep chucking rocks in your wort at 3500c would sure get the brew cranking :p

I think we would all share some of GMK's wort :lol: :ph34r:

Ken,

is that the one that Chris Zierholtz was involved in? He sent me this link to a little movie they made of it. The reaction when the hot rocks hit the wort is amazing! The file is a bit large to download so I suggest you save it first and then open.

- Snow

Currently studying geology, never came across the topic of combing rocks and brewing. Shame that, would have been a good lecture.

Any igneous rock would be fine, basalt or granite etc.. Unless something special is done by the rock, I suppose you could use a brick or something.

Got some samples from the field, never thought they might end up in the kettle.

Sam

You can get those volcanic rocks at kmart. 3$ for a 6 kilo bag. These are meant for the bbq.

Snow said:
Ken,

is that the one that Chris Zierholtz was involved in? He sent me this link to a little movie they made of it. The reaction when the hot rocks hit the wort is amazing! The file is a bit large to download so I suggest you save it first and then open.

- Snow
Yes....

I have not seen the video - but read the Ferm Article on it...

Sounds interesting....

Every year melbourne brewers make a weekend away to brew a steinbeer using the hot rock boil method.

There are one or two pics at:

melbourne brewers steinbrew

We just used cut bluestone last year. You want to be careful of any rocks which contain moisture when they go into the fire.

Cheers

I've read a couple of these on the web. Interesting story about the brewing, lots of good pics, lots of fun had on the day. Very little about the beer. In fact I think I recall that when pressed, one group of rock brewers finally admitted that the beer tasted like crap.

Back