Hot or cold water measurements?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogierob

Reaction score
water increases volume when hot, so when I'm brewing do I take the water volume measurement at hot or cold?

I'm assuming hot, but I have learnt that assumption is the mother of all f*** up's.

my recipe asks for 31.09 lt. I put this in my urn cold before and it has increased by about 500ml half way through heating

how much did You end up with? if you end up with 500ml more wort subtract 500ml from start volume.

I always use cold water measurments. So if you're pushing the limits of what your urn/pot/whatever, you'd need to account for that thermal expansion.

Not For Horses said:
I always use cold water measurments. So if you're pushing the limits of what your urn/pot/whatever, you'd need to account for that thermal expansion.
I've got a 40lt urn so space isn't the issue. And I guess 500ml isn't much to worry about.
I've had a brew day with other guys and I've pre heated water for the other guys, I'm just wondering if that would cause varying results for them
lukiferj said:
I would have thought cold. Unless you're drinking your beer hot.
I think I would have bigger issues to deal with if I was drink straight out of the mash

I've never worried about it.
Probably a bee's foreskin's worth of a fraction of an ant's freckle on my system.

I never worry either. Have enough water to be able to swim the grain. If it's too much at your preboil, just boil for linger, starting hop additions later. If too little, add boiled water. I reckon trying to be ultra precise with starting water in biab sets you up for issues, as different grains absorb and hold different amounts of moisture

Back