Hot break removal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mack

Reaction score
Thought occurred to me today during whirlpool...
I use brewbrite at flameout/whirlpool and get a nice trub cone so I can leave the break behind before transfer, and it got me thinking: would there be any benefit to adding brewbrite at whirlpool after a ~30 min vigorous boil, let it sit for fifteen or so, remove the wort (leaving break behind) to another kettle, bring the now clear wort back to the boil and continue brew as normal?

Not really, Break material keeps forming so you would have another (smaller) crop to remove. I'm also far from sure that you wouldn't affect the extraction of hop products as the hop matter would be removed at the half way point (assuming a 60 minute boil). Good chance you would also be increasing your Oxygen exposure, how much affect HSA has may be debated, that it is real cant be.
Would also take longer and cost more energy, sorry cant see any real benefits. Unless that is you're thinking of not doing a second whirlpool at the end which isn't a good idea.
Mark

I do a 90 min boil as standard so hops wouldn't really be an issue unless I FWH'd, the continual break development though is not something I had thought of... I was intending on a second whirlpool but if it would not generate any great improvement I think I'll just continue as normal then.

I do a 90 min boil as standard so hops wouldn't really be an issue unless I FWH'd, the continual break development though is not something I had thought of... I was intending on a second whirlpool but if it would not generate any great improvement I think I'll just continue as normal then.
If your concerned about removing more break material then consider letting the wert stand in a spare fermenter for say 6-8 hours before racking into another fermenter and pitching yeast, leaving hot and cold break behind as trub.
Another variation on the above is the British 'dropping' system. Yeast is pitched in the first vessel and then after approx 12 hours the fermenting wert/beer is 'dropped' into another 'cleansing' fermenter. Away from trub consisting of break, dead yeast cells etc.
Variations on the above two methods were common in both Ale and Lager breweries until the rise of the cylindroconical - where trub could be removed from the bottom.

Back