Hose Types For Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiprya

Reaction score
I have a copper immersion chiller, and I'm looking to extend the input and output hoses.

It currently has vinyl hoses - is that the same as PVC hose?

PVC doesn't seem to be able to handle the temperature of boiling wort - or is it fine for the 10-15 minutes that the wort is >70 degrees?

Just asking because the hardware store around the corner has PVC hose, so hoping I can get by without having to search futher for something else.

I have a copper immersion chiller, and I'm looking to extend the input and output hoses.

It currently has vinyl hoses - is that the same as PVC hose?

PVC doesn't seem to be able to handle the temperature of boiling wort - or is it fine for the 10-15 minutes that the wort is >70 degrees?

Just asking because the hardware store around the corner has PVC hose, so hoping I can get by without having to search futher for something else.

PVC = Polyvinyl chloride

so in my book, yes

QldKev

as long as the pvc doesnt have the wort in it it would fine. you dont want pvc to leech chemicals into hot wort but you are talking about cooling water arent you?

Yeah, just cooling water - no wort.

Ok I guess I'll give the PVC a go.

I've seen many immersion chillers that use basic/cheap garden-hose, no idea what it is made from but since the water does not come in contact with your beer, as long as the hose can withstand the temperature/pressure, I don't think what it is made from really matters.

I agree as already mentioned, if the hose will not come into contact with the wort, you don't have to be worried as much. My immersion chiller has normal garden hose connected to it.

If the hose will touch the wort wither internally or externally then pvc is bad.

QldKev

I just use garden hose on mine. Doesn't come into contact with the wort, so it's no problem.
Have used mine like that for 5 years now with no issues whatsoever.

Back