Horehound horehound horehound horehound!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a patch of the black horehound near my house, and currently in flower (see pics below):

B-Horehound.png

We collected a whole bunch of horehound yesterday - wahey! - from a paddock in Geelong. The owner wasn't too fussed about the horehound being there but happy to let us collect some.

I've tied it up in bundles and am drying it out in the shed.

Meantime I made a small bunch of horehound ale from some dried stuff I bought from the organics store in Bright. It's alright but the yeast I used - a wild yeast, probably some kind of low-attenuating saccharomyces - is currently refusing to perform the secondary carbonation. It's possible a bacteria may have taken over.

The taste is very strong and bitter, with a kind of earthy mintiness that could compliment a creamy, biscuity ale. A bit too strong in this current ale, but not so much as to be offputting.

I'm thinking of brewing a kind of Colonial ale with some of my freshly collected horehound soon, an extremely simple grain bill (perhaps pale ale malt + some oats) and maybe some wild yeast. Call it 'The Scourge of the Country' - from a line in a 19th century Australian poem about brewing: Wild yeast is the scourge of the country....

Awesome.
I grew up in east Gippsland and we had this stuff running rampant on our farm.
My dad was keen on being organic so spent days hoeing the stuff and burning it.
Never got rid of all of it.

Blog post.

Interesting thing was, two days before I actually collected all this stuff, I was walking along the bike path by the South Morang train line and - for the first time in my life - saw some real life horehound. Picked a few leaves, had a chew, inspected the fruit and seeds, carried it home and looked up some pics on the net - yep, that's horehound alright.

Those invasive weeds can be so.... well, invasive! Love 'em!

IS it a precursor for any illegal drug that seems to be the problem with a lot of herbs.

Wouldn't think so. It's a type of mint and that's the main thing you get from it, a mintiness.

Latest posts

Back