Horehound horehound horehound horehound!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone wants to pick and send me any horehound.

Apparently it's a weed here in Australia, that tends to grow in paddocks that have been grazed by livestock. Unfortunately here in the burbs I haven't seen any. Anyway, it's good stuff! You can use it to provide bitter in beer; it's a member of the mint family so there's some potential of getting minty flavours from the leaf, and apparently it was a popular hop-substitute back in ye olde early dayes of brewing.

I bought some dried horehound recently from a naturalist, but a) there wasn't very much, and B) if it's growing prolifically somewhere near me why would I bother?

So yep, if anyone could help me out that would be great. I'd reimburse for postage costs and send some bottles of the final brew. Alternatively, if anyone knows of somewhere around Melbourne that this stuff tends to grow, that would be great. (As it's a mint it probably would have been largely dormant over winter, but it will probably be springing up again all over the place soon.)

let me know if you get any local offers. If not, I'm sure I have seen this about my place. Happy to wash and dry some, but local offers first.
I'm in mid-coast NSW.

Will do Les. My folks live in Raymond Terrace so I could probably send them on an expedition! Maybe the best time for picking would be early summer, anyway, as the plants would be really big by then.

Tim as always your exploits into expanding your brewing and weird and wonderful ingredients to use has me intrigued. Will keep my eye, out lets us know how this goes.

MB

I'm not very far from there, for anyone who is not familiar with the area.

Maybe I should be farming that stuff. Good prices for weeds, I see.

They were selling it at the naturopath for $60 a kilo!

You could wash it, dry it out, and take a whole heap into one of the organic stores in Newcastle, I know of at least two.

It's amazing what you can get charged for some of this stuff. For instance, dandelion, which you'll find in jars at organic shops, etc, for some ridiculous price. The bloody stuff grows everywhere! Admittedly you'd have to put in quite a bit of effort to make the kilo, but still....it's being charged like a luxury product when it's one of the most commodified commodities around.

One of the dried herb retailers does most stuff for around 10-12 per 250grams

Yeah thanks Panzerd, getting it from a herb retailer is another option, but fresh is better - and ideal is being able to gather it for myself :)

Thanks to you Tim, I've been unable to walk past a patch of weeds without checking whether it includes horehound (I see a "skanky-dog ale" in your future).
Thought I'd found some yesterday, but the plant structure looked wrong.

Thanks to you Tim, I've been unable to walk past a patch of weeds without checking whether it includes horehound (I see a "skanky-dog ale" in your future).

Welcome to the wonderful world that is my mind. It's turned into a sort of gardener with Asperger's. "Ooh, is that yarrow?" "Hmmm, wonder if that's alehoof". "Could that be.... horehound?" etc, etc.

Like your suggestion of "skanky dog ale", btw. Maybe I'll have to make my own version of it (Respectable Poodle Ale?)

It's never stopped homebrewers before....

You're up Footscray way if I recall correctly. Given that I don't think Ive found any out here in Lalor (we're kinda on the outskirts) I don't think you'd have much luck there either. Whittlesea council out here has a particularly brutal and unsubtle way of dealing with weeds (nukes them with glysophate) and the surviving ones tend to be the plantains and mallows that are too small to get noticed.

I know there's plenty of yarrow on the Raymond Terrace road to Maitland in Summer.
Horehound may be out of season. Are seeds an acceptable option for you?
Just checked- it's perennial

Spotted one of these yesterday, tiny, with purple flowers, likely to be black horehound.
Google pic - HH.png

TimT said:
It's never stopped homebrewers before....

You're up Footscray way if I recall correctly. Given that I don't think Ive found any out here in Lalor (we're kinda on the outskirts) I don't think you'd have much luck there either. Whittlesea council out here has a particularly brutal and unsubtle way of dealing with weeds (nukes them with glysophate) and the surviving ones tend to be the plantains and mallows that are too small to get noticed.
I live near the train line which escapes some of the round-up attacks, but I haven't seen any yet. Dandelions, capeweed, fennel, even Patterson's Curse.

Back