Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan_madness

Reaction score
Walking through the chemist my 5 year old yells "Hey daddy they sell hops for your beer here."
gallery_25427_1138_981127.jpg

Wonder what there per 100gm cost is.

Be funny if they where jjust std pelletts in foil pill packs

That's cool. Especially if your little one knows what a hop looks like. Never heard of using hops for insomnia (ive tried a few) except in beer in excessive amounts. Works a treat.

She has her own Hersbrucker bine that she looks after and picks off the lower cones. So she definately knows what they look like.

They treated insomnia in medevial time with a pillow filled with hops !!

The Valerian component is a long standing natural medicine mild sedative, and looks to be the primary component.
Note the widely divergent quantities of each, 1.25 grams versus 360 milligrams.
Methinks the hops are there as a sales point, rather than doing much on their own.

Ashul said:
They treated insomnia in medevial time with a pillow filled with hops !!
Righto,who among the hop growers here sleeps in their hop garden?

Hope have quite often used for sleep help:

"The Book of The Farm" Vol 2, Henry Stevens
Hops may be used medicinally; a hop-pillow will ensure sleep to a patient in fever, when all other expedients will prove ineffective.

"The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care" -
Hops have been used as a medicine for at least as long as for brewing. The flowers are famous for their sleep-inducing sedative effects, whether drunk as a tea or slept on as a hop pillow [...]. The volatile oils released while sleeping on a hop pillow probably affect the brain directly through its olfactory centre.

I have read that Henry VIII used to sleep with a hop pillow, and that in places hop picking was thought of as a "dangerous" occupation, as the pickers would need to sleep during the day. Although on a casual google, I could not find references for these statements.

Mr Wibble said:
hop picking was thought of as a "dangerous" occupation, as the pickers would need to sleep during the day. Although on a casual google, I could not find references for these statements.
Dangerous stuff, that sleeping during the day. Can upset your night sleep.

So did you buy them and try and make a brew of them?

I got some gentian from the naturopath for use in brews; knowing full well that I didn't want it medicinally (since I told them all about my brewing plans) they nevertheless wrote me up a full prescription with the directions on the side of the bottle that the patient was to take 'as needed'.

warra48 said:
The Valerian component is a long standing natural medicine mild sedative, and looks to be the primary component.
Note the widely divergent quantities of each, 1.25 grams versus 360 milligrams.
Methinks the hops are there as a sales point, rather than doing much on their own.
Precisely. And a good fit, as study upon study shows valerian no more effective than a placebo in getting a good nights sleep.

Back