Hops That Tolerate Heat/dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstacey

Reaction score
I thought it would be a good idea if we put together a list of hop varieties that tolerate both hot weather and dry conditions. If we make a good list it might help people work out what to plant.

The summer this year in Adelaide has been really hot and my Mt Hood hops have almost died. My POR and Willamette are still looking as healthy as ever and I'm expecting some flowers, the POR is starting to flower. I try and keep them watered, but the Mt Hood just doesn't seem to stand up to the heat. I think it would grow well in a cooler environment because it jumps out of the ground late August, grows great and then stops on the first warm day.

What other varieties tolerate the heat and/or dry conditions?

My Mt Hood seem to be the best variety for Qld, Humity, but keep the water up.

Hope this helps

QldKev

QldKev,
I was really interested to hear that. Perhaps Mt Hood just needs more water than the others. I have it right next to the other hops and water and fertilise it the same.

It might also depend where you are and your max temps. We've been getting quite a few 40+ days. Have you been getting weather that hot up north?

My Wurttemberger (second year) took off early, I cut the bines down and harvested a crop in December then it took off again now has more bines than the first crop and good flowers. This has all been through the dry lead up to xmas, and since the start of the wet a bloody deluge which has lasted for the last 4 weeks. Been a wet but not particularly hot summer so far on the Sunshine Coast. The hops are growing in shallow sandy soil over coffee rock about 1km from the beach at near enough to sea level.

Screwy

Cluster has been going great for me in Sydney the last couple of years. Definitely the strongest variety I have tried to grow.

Pearle didnt make it past its 1st year.

Columbus 1st year got to a few feet high only. 2nd year it may possibly yield a few cones.

Latest posts

Back