Hops Teabag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
My brew has been on for four days now. When I did it, I put one of the teabags in. I just checked it tonight and it's floating on the top with a gross looking sludge all over the top of it.

Should I squeeze the air out of it and push it down, or just leave it as is?

My brew has been on for four days now. When I did it, I put one of the teabags in. I just checked it tonight and it's floating on the top with a gross looking sludge all over the top of it.

just leave it, and stop taking the top of your fermenter.

It sounds like nice sludgey yeast all over it, mate.

Now smack yourself five times while you say "I will leave the lid on!!!"

I've got on of those transparent Coopers kits, didn't need to take the lid off. ;)

Sweet, I'll leave it as is.

The hop pellets inside expand once they hit liquid. You might get some oils ooze out as a result. It's normal and nothing to sweat. Like everyone else pointed out don't open it too often or you increase your risk of infecting the beer.

Haven't opened it since the day I put it in there, and won't be opening it for another week or so.

Thats the good thing about the Coopers kit, if you feel like being a little nosey there's no need to open anything. :)

Quick question regarding hops bag for dry hopping and boils.

What do you use? I'm pretty sure I have read some people just use stockings? Or is there something else?

Hop bags plus a sterilized stainless steal weight to weigh it down
Keep it submerged
I believe dry hopping is better done in the first few days of fermentation
Rather than last few days
Never tried this myself but i will be
Made more sense to me
And in the boil hell of alot less trub
Same bitterness- mouthfeel
Go for it

Hop bags plus a sterilized stainless steal weight to weigh it down
Keep it submerged
I believe dry hopping is better done in the first few days of fermentation
Rather than last few days
Never tried this myself but i will be
Made more sense to me
And in the boil hell of alot less trub
Same bitterness- mouthfeel
Go for it

So stocking is fine? Or should I be grabbing some Swiss Voille or a professional bag from some site?

Quick question regarding hops bag for dry hopping and boils.

What do you use? I'm pretty sure I have read some people just use stockings? Or is there something else?

Mentioned this a couple of times but
BIAB bag cut into 4 and stitched with braided fishing line
Made 4 hop socks

Tea-bags, stockings and hop socks are so old school.

... a hop-bomb is what you want:
hop_bomb_zpsb7d74e5f.jpg

Cheap but large-ish ebay-tea-strainer-thing, 2L bottle (of sainitizer) in photo for scale.

I dry hop with fresh hops off the vine no bag straight into the primary and secondary. Yeast will sort you out if it doesn't smell offyou are good togo.

Tea-bags, stockings and hop socks are so old school.

... a hop-bomb is what you want:
hop_bomb_zpsb7d74e5f.jpg

Cheap but large-ish ebay-tea-strainer-thing, 2L bottle (of sainitizer) in photo for scale.

I saw these today while looking for a tea strainer, freaking huge LMAO there is also a ball type which is about 10cm in diameter, tempting.

Whats it like with keeping most of the "floatys" out?

Back