Hops Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonersloth

Reaction score
just opened up a vacuum sealed 100g bag of saaz pellets. went to a mate's house (he has the digital scales) to portion them out (wont get another chance to use the scales for a while).

what's the best way to store the portions - they're currently wrapped in alluminum foil. sealable plastic baggies?

what's the best way to store the portions - they're currently wrapped in alluminum foil. sealable plastic baggies?

Hello stonersloth,

yeah, seal and freez it, just put it in the freezer.

Cheers

Promash reckons if the hops are stored in barrier packaging or airtight jars at -10C (freezer temp) then you'll lose about 10% of the rated alpha per year - if it's vacuum packed then 5% per year.

If you want some barrier bags cheap get them from craftbrewer or gmdpackaging.com.au - the "250g" ones fit roughly a pound (450g) of pellet hops.

How long are hops good for, when kept in the freezer?

Petesbrew,

Most important is expelling as much air as possible & making sure they are kept in something totally airtight. Fridge or freezer is fine - but if you can smell hops upon opening the door, they aren't sealed well enough.

cheers Ross.

How long are hops good for, when kept in the freezer?

Petesbrew,

Most important is expelling as much air as possible & making sure they are kept in something totally airtight. Fridge or freezer is fine - but if you can smell hops upon opening the door, they aren't sealed well enough.

cheers Ross.

Thanks Ross, so basically, as long as they're airtight, i'm fine for say, a year?
Anyway, if I could smell hops, I would be copping a huge earful from the wife, as it's stored in the kitchen freezer. The last time I made her sniff a bag of Nelson Sauvin, she almost puked.
Pete

I've just received a bunch of hops from Ross - Thanks Ross - Craftbrewer is super quick!

450g East Kent Goldings 5.0%
90g Pacific Gem 14%
90g Centennial 9.9%
90g Cascade 5.5%

They are all marked '05

So when I put values into ProMash should I reduce the A/A% by 10%?

Being 5% per annum as they are in air tight vacuum bags?

Cheers

Back