Hops Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

Reaction score
I am making a 14ltr DSGA that calls for Amarillo Pellets, 8.9 AA%. I got some Amarillo the other day through ebay and they were labelled Amarillo Pellets 10.1 AA%. the recipe calls for 20g @ 60mins 15@ 10min & 5min 0min
Can someone tell me what, if any, is the difference between the 8.9% and the 10.1% in taste ( and yes I know it is 1.2 mathematically) Do I add less hops to compensate? do I just add to boil later than normal? or just add as per recipe. I use BrewMate for recipes and by altering my 60 min bittering hops from 20g to 12g I get an IBU of 34.5 which is about the bitterness I like. Would this method be ok?

Just adjust the weight of hops you add down accordingly to end up with the same IBU addition. Hop alpha % vary by season and also reduce as the hops age.

The difference between them is that the crop you've got some of ended up with a slightly higher AA% than the one the original recipe maker used, nothing more nothing less. Is to be expected.

Enjoy the Amarillo, becoming rarer than hen's teeth thanks to supply shortages this year.

I am making a DSGA that calls for Amarillo Pellets, 8.9 AA%. I got some Amarillo the other day through ebay and they were labelled Amarillo Pellets 10.1 AA%.
Can someone tell me what if any is the difference between the 8.9% and the 10.1% ( and yes I know it is 1.2 mathematically) Do I add less hops to compensate? do I just not worry and add to boil later than normal? or just add as per recipe. I use BrewMate for recipes

If you are using brewmate as I do, you will be able to adjust the AA% rating in the program. Load up your recipe as normal and change the AA% to the 10.1 you have and you will notice a difference in your final IBU for the beer...seen in top right of screen.

Not knowing exactly what your hop schedule is, I cant tell you the exact difference in overall IBUs. Your best bet is to load the recipe you have saved that is 8.9% and note the IBUs and then change the AA% to 10.1% and then note the IBUs...depending on your taste you can leave as is, or adjust your quantities slightly to reduce the IBUs back to the original recipe.

Cheers

With the DSGA, you should adjust the bittering addition to compensate for the extra aa%, not the flavour/aroma additions

So leave the late hop additions as is, and then lower the 60 min addition until the IBUs match up

Best way to work out the original target IBU is to enter the original recipe with 8.9% aa

You guys are quick of the mark! I was editing my original query with the hop times etc and messing with brewMate and when I looked there were 3 answers already.... Thanks again Guys, looks like the bittering hop will be changed. appreciate your help!
:beer: Al

Year on year, hops change. Whether the flavour compounds raise and lower in conjunction with the bittering compounds would take a bit of looking into.

They both vary quite a bit - even within the same crop. Worrying too much about variability in crops of hops is more of an issue for commercial brewers trying to make their beer taste the same as it did last year. As homebrewers it's better to guess, and correct later.

When using the T45 hops, they are twice as bitter, but not twice as flavoursome (Ross told me to use 40% less for flavour/aroma additions). But they are pelletised differently, not grown somewhere were they grow more pungently.

Back