Hops not doing too well

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocker1986 said:
Bit of an update, that second shoot that I posted in the photo yesterday is looking better today. It has grown more and looks healthy, unlike the first one which is all but dead now. There is also a second shoot poking up next to it, and another one in the foreground there (blurred). Also the Hallertau in the other pot has sprouted its first shoot too, so things are looking up at this stage. :)
That is up and running

Keep watering it, but dont fertilize until it gets a bit of growth

Latter on give it regular feeds feeds of diluted whatever your fertilizing it with

Also dont forget trace elements, can make a big difference

Benn said:
Growth since potting has been minimal, with the new green leaves slowly yellowing during the course of a week.

Any feedback welcome,

Cheers

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
You have applied a granular high nitrogen fertilizer to your pot, the nitrogen will steal water from the plants and leave the plant with yellowing leaves, as I mentioned earlier use just Seasol or Blood and Bone until the plants take off, that fertilizer you applied is 3 or 4 months of tucker, and in a pot it is more concentrated. Just apply again in 3 months time as a side dressing and water in well.

Thanks Stu, was definitely not planning any more fertilising at this point. Watering is being taken care of by storms this week but yes will keep that up too once the weather dries up again.

Rain water has an amazing effect on plants :)

Tap water will keep plants alive, but good rain will just make them kick :super:

It really does, I notice it on the lawns, they really green up after a good rain and grow rather quickly. May be why these ones are looking better, there was a storm on Monday or Tuesday as well that dumped a bit of rain on them. Maybe I should harvest some rain water for them.

Rocker1986 said:
It really does, I notice it on the lawns, they really green up after a good rain and grow rather quickly. May be why these ones are looking better, there was a storm on Monday or Tuesday as well that dumped a bit of rain on them. Maybe I should harvest some rain water for them.
You should

You got the same base rain storm we got. Good steady rain

I havnt put anything in yet as its been to dry, but next week when I get back I will be planting.

Got some wild tomatoes growing, some not far off picking so they will go nuts now

Ducatiboy stu said:
Rain water has an amazing effect on plants :)

Tap water will keep plants alive, but good rain will just make them kick :super:
+1 for that, keep your rain water for the plants and the tap water for brewing.

Another BYO article about growing hops in pots and how to feed.
https://byo.com/bock/item/1872-growing-hops-in-containers

Maxicrop while young Powerfeed when really going.

maxicrop-seaweed.png
POWERFEED-1LTR.jpg

Great article! I'll have to bookmark that one. At least I got a couple of things right straight away like the pot size and using potting mix. :lol: Probably would have preferred bigger pots but all the bigger ones were terracotta or something else way heavy like that. I have plenty of wire mesh that I can use in place of a stake to grow them on so I'll sort out some of that too. It used to be a greenhouse, and it's just hanging up doing nothing now.. so I can make it into stake type things.

My Cascade hops sat like yours MM for months, but a day or two ago it started to go for it and is now growing at about a foot a day and clinbing up the rope in a clockwise manner just like it's meant to. I suspect it's the hot weather in Central Vic that's got it moving.

Well mine have shot up since those previous posts. The Hallertau (in the photo) has about 4 or 5 plants growing and I'm getting one in place to be trained onto the mesh; the Fuggle only has two, and it's growing more slowly, some of its leaves appear to be getting eaten by something. They have some small holes in them, but it's still growing up, which is something. It doesn't get quite as much sun as the Hallertau though.

The horizontal mesh is there to keep the turkeys out of it. :ph34r:

IMG_08941.JPG

The best thing I have done is set up a dripper system and bought a prgrammable timer from Bunnings so they always get enough water, 3 minutes twice a day

So here's an update on how the two roots are going. Starting to get some real momentum going. Looking at putting up some wire this week. I have a roll of fence wire that I was thinking of putting for it to climb. Any suggestions ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448157840.032353.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448157856.951214.jpg

Also, the two shoots in my 1st post died off completely.

Back