Hops How Do I Bag Them Use Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewCarey82

"Baron Hardmans" Chief brewer.
Reaction score
@ the moment I use hop tea bag (morgans) which must only weigh about 25g @ the most and pay close to $3 from my LHBS.

However I notice that I can get hops for about $8 for a hundred grams which probably enhance the flavours more then these bags.

How do I prepare them and what equipment do I need.

I found nothing on a search for this.

Get some stockings and cut a length of.
Boil it in water first ti get rid of any colouring. Then tie one end, put the hops in and tie the other end up.

I usually do this for dry hopping and it works fine.

cheers
johnno

I have made hop bags out of muslin cloth (often called cheese cloth) as well. I'd probably prefer that over nylon stockings, especially when boiling the hops as I used to do when making extract batches. I just stitched them into a bag and then tied the top off with a piece of string-which could also be used to fish them out of the boil.

I've never dry hopped using them, but would boil them for 10mins before putting the hops in just to sterilize the cloth. I don't dry hop anymore, not a fan of the flavor at all but each to their own.

Cheers, Justin

i just dump pellets in the fermenter before adding wort, they settle into the trub and you dont need a bag
i wouldnt do it with plugs though as the barstards float

bit of termimesh works well. Just make a box out of it. Easy to sanitise too.
Never drop plugs or pellets straight into a keg

hmmmm, termimesh would be perfect for an experimental home malting setup as well
where did you get your D?

tangent said:
hmmmm, termimesh would be perfect for an experimental home malting setup as well
where did you get your D?
[post="92478"][/post]​

"Termimesh" believe it or not 8). I am unsure how you will use it in malting but I know the holes are too small to be used as a mash manifold or boiler filter.

cheers
Darren

i figured they'd put their anti-termite markup on it :p
thinking of using it for my drying racks, either that or s/s flywire

bottlerocket said:
i just dump pellets in the fermenter before adding wort, they settle into the trub and you dont need a bag
i wouldnt do it with plugs though as the barstards float
[post="92457"][/post]​

I use hop bags in the boil, which stops them clinging to the edge of your kettle & also prevents blockage problems (as my outlet is in the centre of the kettle which makes whirlpooling pointless).
But for dry hopping I prefer them loose - If you dry hop in the secondary, the plugs or pellets will sink when you cold condition...

cheers Ross

Ross said:
as my outlet is in the centre of the kettle which makes whirlpooling pointless.

cheers Ross
[post="92520"][/post]​

Ross, why not bend your outlet tube to the edge?
cheers

darren

Does using a hop bag in the boil affect the utilisation at all Doc? Have you done a comparison of hop bag vs. no hop bag flavours? Just curious...

Joel said:
Does using a hop bag in the boil affect the utilisation at all Doc? Have you done a comparison of hop bag vs. no hop bag flavours? Just curious...
[post="92547"][/post]​

doc? :blink: - I don't believe the hop bag makes any noticable difference to the hop utilisation. i have done it both ways & i don't allow any extra for using bags. The bags are made from nylon net curtains & have plenty of room for the hops to do their thing...

cheers Ross

Darren said:
Ross said:

cheers Ross
[post="92520"][/post]​

cheers

darren
[post="92542"][/post]​

Darren, If i had an outlet tube, that may have been an option, but i don't :blink:

Ross said:
Darren said:
Ross said:

cheers Ross
[post="92520"][/post]​

cheers

darren
[post="92542"][/post]​

Darren, If i had an outlet tube, that may have been an option, but i don't :blink:
[post="92588"][/post]​

So ross you have a magical 'Ross' method of removing trub? :lol:

Jayse

jayse said:
So ross you have a magical 'Ross' method of removing trub? :lol:

Jayse
[post="92590"][/post]​

nope :) - just pour off the first litre & then the rest straight into the fermenter - very little trub follows, as the intake is approx an inch off the bottom - not that the trub is suppossed to be bad for the ferment anyway, is it?

cheers Ross

i always go by the fact that a plastic fermenter holds a lot of trub up to the tap
heaps'o'sh!t
racking takes care of that, until conicals :)

Ross said:
nope :) - just pour off the first litre & then the rest straight into the fermenter - very little trub follows, as the intake is approx an inch off the bottom - not that the trub is suppossed to be bad for the ferment anyway, is it?

cheers Ross
[post="92591"][/post]​

Ok tube is once inch above, understood. However the 'ross method' joke is no longer funny. :beerbang:

Jayse

Back