Hops Harvest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
It came time to harvest my hops on the weekend as a couple of them were getting a yellow tinge to them. The actual harvest process was over very quick and my secateur hand was not a bit sore.

First season in the ground I didn't expect much, but gee whiz... total dried weight, just under 10 grams. :(

Looks like a very subtle late addition of fresh POR flowers going in my dark ale this Easter.

How did everyone's harvest go?

Bad luck Deebee, but at least you had a go. I'm thinking of taking the plunge this year myself just for a laugh. Guess I'll try Ringwood as well due to 'Aussie' conditions. Can't see much else survivng the Newcastle weather. Hope next years season is more fruitful for you...

Shawn.

that 10g more than me :)

my hallertau plant although it grew like crazy and was healty it did not have any hops on it. I didn't expect any untill the roots system have set in.

hopfully next yr

Ummmm one Hallertau, one Tettnanger one POR, all first year rhizomes

500g green hops, equiv to 125g dried

I dug one bag of cowpoop into the bed they were going into, raised it a bit
Early on, it never got much sun, as they grew they had all the sun they needed. This seems to be crucial--not too much sun at first! Watered deeply once a week, the roots must not be permanently wet.

Going to cut the bines off at ground level next weekend, clean the bed up, then cover with straw from a pretty well rotted bale of barley straw, probabbly putting some blood & bone & compost under the straw. Will also prepare a new bed for like 6 Goldings rhizomes (avail from Jovial Monk for $25 in early spring) by digging in 2-3 bags cowpoop

Jovial Monk

I don't suppose hops will grow in Bundaberg Qld????

Worth a try Andrew

I am going to try growing them near Gympie in a coulpe of years , maybe a bit of shade cloth

You can grow them but they need long summer days to produce flowers so latitude greater than 30 works best. Might not get a harvest in the tropics.

i got enough POR for a brew.
but the hallertau and tettnanger only provided a couple of flowers and the cluster didn't do much at all.
these were all first year also.

cheers jayse

Was at the Mac's Brewery in Stoke, Nelson NZ last week.
They had really nice hop plants full of ready to pick hops out the front.
I wanted to just pick up hand full or fifty off them.

Beers,
Doc

Mac__s_Brewery_001.jpg

Latest posts

Back