hops from Tassie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT. Yeah - not every flight has the quarantine officer and dog - but they are there a majority of the time. You never know when they are there, so that in itself is a deterrent.
Cheers
LagerBomb

LagerBomb said:
We are trying to protect our clean, green and fruit fly free image over here. We just haven't found a way to stop the Queenslanders from moving here yet. :D
Cheers
LagerBomb
And like most QLDers I'm positivley riddled with fruit fly.

At the brewery we use a load of NZ stryian flowers in the hopback for one beer so some-one is getting around it.

And, while I think of it I'm pretty sure the supplier in question supplies at least one popular online HB shop (I can remember seeing boxes from them in the shop), so in my way of thinking.......I'll continue getting flowers from them when required.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Stop being so damn nice to us all.... :D
they're nice to you? You cant be wearing the right hat :D

Turns out I can sent to Tas, waiting for a more in depth response from a phone call, but seems that a declaration must be made and possibly a couple of other hoops... seems like a fair bit of faffing about to send product that came from there back to there ;)

will update further when I get the call

Yob said:
seems like a fair bit of faffing about to send product that came from there back to there ;)

will update further when I get the call
There in lies the problem. I cant buy hop flowers in small quantities in Tassie. Hopco does 5kg lots I think. Same problem with malt. JW maltings is 30 mins up the road, yet we all have to buy our malt from the Big Island. They wont sell it in small quantities, or in fact sell it privately.
As far as being nice, that is a side effect of having my other head removed (just getting the joke in first). And dont start me on hats - my tinfoil hat is just about due for replacement.
Cheers
LagerBomb

LagerBomb said:
There in lies the problem. I cant buy hop flowers in small quantities in Tassie. Hopco does 5kg lots I think. Same problem with malt. JW maltings is 30 mins up the road, yet we all have to buy our malt from the Big Island. They wont sell it in small quantities, or in fact sell it privately.
As far as being nice, that is a side effect of having my other head removed (just getting the joke in first). And dont start me on hats - my tinfoil hat is just about due for replacement.
Cheers
LagerBomb
Unless your Boags Joe White doesn't want anything to do with you. We get malt from them in 500kg lots, but it still goes though Bintani. Apart from that, everything comes over in 25kg sacks.

LagerBomb said:
Just branching OT for a second. While I havent tried importing flowers into Tassie, I know that we don't import anything from New Zealand into here, due to insects/pests. There has been a few legal battles over it.
Cheers
LagerBomb
Except bloody Kiwi dairy farmers...NW Tas is full of 'em

LagerBomb said:
Cheers
LagerBomb
I tried to get an inside run on hops and malt from a mate who deals with growers and JW but got absolutely no where. Strange as Tassie normally runs on "wink wink say no more"
Cheers
Chris

I have got hold of JW Pils malt from Devonport Maltser - courtesy of a friend who've I've now got who works there.

But otherwise, it's pretty hard to find anything hop wise or malt wise here.

TasChris said:
"Strange as Tassie normally runs on "wink wink say no more"
Cheers
Chris
Only for certain types of seafood.
Any further updates on this Yob

naa, bastards, still waiting for my phone call, will give them another poke today. Hadnt forgotten mate.

LagerBomb said:
Mmmmm certain types of seafood!
whitebait,lobsters,crayfish,abalone.

TasChris said:
Mmmmm certain types of seafood!
whitebait,lobsters,crayfish,abalone.
Nah, that would be illegal TasChris.
Woudn't it??

I get seeds and bulbs from companies like Eden Seeds and now Greenpatch Organic Seeds who are just down the street from me here, and in their catalogue there are lots of items that are "not for Tasmania". So it's obviously not just the hops.

LagerBomb said:
Just spoke to the nice lady again and while I need to digest further information here is a quote from the email..

"The material must be clean and free from soil, insects. An inspection on arrival would be required, so on the package via mail you would need to mark ATTN Quarantine Tasmania – with the clients address.
Should we find anything of concern within the vacuum packed hops – it may be opened by the Quarantine officer. If it is all in a clear plastic package and easily visible then should be okay"

Cheers

Yeah thats essentially what she said mate, as long as they can determine that it's 'clean' they wont open it.

I do have to file other paperwork so it's a bit of a PITA, going to have a dry run with a mate of mine down there, will send him some and test delivery times and how long it takes door to door so I can assess it for folks.

:)

Yob said:
Yeah thats essentially what she said mate, as long as they can determine that it's 'clean' they wont open it.

I do have to file other paperwork so it's a bit of a PITA, going to have a dry run with a mate of mine down there, will send him some and test delivery times and how long it takes door to door so I can assess it for folks.

:)
This is Tassie, we are all mates down here, although it is slowly being overrun by Queenslanders. I will wait and see how much stuffing about it is for you, but thanks for the effort that you have put in to working out a solution. I am sure your mate will be happy to recieve his parcel as well.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Latest posts

Back