Hops From O/s

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE DRUNK ARAB

Zen Arcade
Reaction score
Hi guys and gal, does anyone know if hops can be sent from the U.S without quarantine implications? The hops would be pellets. Thanks.

C&B
TDA

Pellet form is supposed to be ok, but leaf or plug is not allowed.
Andrew

Yes, pellets are supposed to be ok, cones are bad.

There was a discussion some time ago, I thik on OCB, about someone trying to import a few kilos and got caught up with customs, not sure if it was AQIS, or just import duties, but by the time they sorted it all out, worked out more expensive than going through local sources.

Fresh Hops site

This site always has some interesting ops.

pint of lager Posted Today, 04:03 PM
Yes, pellets are supposed to be ok, cones are bad.

There was a discussion some time ago, I thik on OCB, about someone trying to import a few kilos and got caught up with customs, not sure if it was AQIS, or just import duties, but by the time they sorted it all out, worked out more expensive than going through local sources.

Fresh Hops site

This site always has some interesting ops.

Top site POL. It is very frustrating, when you can search the internet and come up with a site like this, only to discover you can't get their product. Can you imagine being able to buy by the pound hops harvested only weeks before?

I have seen some sites here proudly boasting fresh hops for sale from 2003 harvest :blink: . And they seem to think this is fresh <_<
I am sure in time our growers here will see the lucrative market of the homebrewer that they are missing out on.

Hopping sad :(
Andrew

Thanks for the replies Andrew and POL.

I am not buying up huge amounts, that is Crispy's job :D . I am just looking at getting 100 to 200 grams of Columbus sent over from someone who has offered.

Should be okay shouldn't it? I don't want to upset the Quarantine people.

C&B
TDA

Should be no problems TDA, and enjoy your Avery IPA, hope it's good.
Andrew

TDA,
I've gotten hops from paddockwood with no problems. Pellets should be fine.
They have opened and inspected mine (stickers all over the package) and have sent them on.
cheers
Darren

There is no problem per-se with non pelletised forms of hops, it is just that the import conditions are more rigourous.

Pellets and hop essence can come in without a hassle as long as it is free from insects and other quarantinable material. They may be insepcted just to check for contaminants.

As soon as you go for any other form of dried hops (for processing purposes only) you need to get an import permit (around $100, but valid for two years) and a quarantine assessment at the point of entry (something between $40 and $60) to verify that indeed it is dried hops and that there are no contaminating seeds or insects and are in new clean packaging. Oh, and the consignment must include commercial documentation stating that the hops are for processing, include shipment/consignment numbers etc, all on official company letterheads etc.etc..

You shouldnt have any problems with Customs. However quarantine will want to have a look at them. Contact Qtine to be safe. Usually from NZ provided there commercially packed should be ok. However if there coming from anywhere else just check before you commit to bringing them in, or you could do your cash!!!

Thanks again everyone.

I am not purchasing through a shop. They are coming from another brewer and I will only be after 200 grams. I assume he will put them in a parcel post bag or some equivalent.

C&B
TDA

TDA, don't sweat it, my mom lives in England and every now and then goes to a local micro and buys me some hops as a treat. She sends them in a parcel and lists on the custom declaration that there are hops inside. I have never had a problem. parcels were only opened the one time and then resealed and delivered with the hops still inside.

cheers
Andrew

just be honest with the parcel dec and u should be fine

Back