Hops for saison/farmhouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not tried any New World Hops in a saison purely because i haven't been through enough of the traditionally used noble hops in saisons to warrant it.
Saisons are meant to have some wine like characteristics so i can see how NS could go well.

That said i would use it carefully and not over hop. You want it to be a component of the beer, and high AA hops can easily dominate.

trying it is the only way to find out though.

I tried calypso in y first saison. Supposed to add pear but I only lightly hopped it. Certainly lemon but I think that's the belle saison. I have another cube of saison in which I added a lot more calypso later in the boil. Hope to taste around Christmas.

Awesome. Let us know how your second lot goes. I've never used Calypso in anything. Will have to check it out.

Charst said:
Not tried any New World Hops in a saison purely because i haven't been through enough of the traditionally used noble hops in saisons to warrant it.
Saisons are meant to have some wine like characteristics so i can see how NS could go well.

That said i would use it carefully and not over hop. You want it to be a component of the beer, and high AA hops can easily dominate.

trying it is the only way to find out though.
The beer linked above is 7.something ABV. So I assume it has plenty of malt to hold the hops up. But then, to what extent this allows the yeast to stand out, I don't know.

NS in a saison is awesome. I've brewed a few with it now. An over the top commercial version is 8 Wired's Sauvin Saison which is more like a NS IPA fermented with a saison yeast (assuming Dupont is your yardstick, she's a varied style for sure....) and is an excellent beer. But with the character that a saison yeast throws you can throw quite a bit at it late and not be too worried about it dominating the beer. Within reason of course.

I bittered my Saison with Sorachi Ace and finished with US Saaz... time will tell in the bottle if it's any good, but the lemony taste of the Sorachi was definitely there, I wouldn't use it much as a late hop though, would end up with the bad end of the Sorachi spectrum (lemon dishwash)

Been curious about sorachi ace. So is that a general thing that sorachi is lemony late- too much so?

pickaxe

bradmccoy said:
Awesome. Let us know how your second lot goes. I've never used Calypso in anything. Will have to check it out.
Drinking my second saison with calypso. I used much more late this time. I can't guarantee it's the hop, but it has a nice fruitiness in the back. It could be the yeast ( wy 3725 ), or a combo of yeast and calypso, but I think it's the calypso. Will definately use it again in saisons.

Bought a saison yeast wpl568 today,

Thought I'd give a Saison a go but wanted to go with what I have in stock.

can anyone see any major issues with below?

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 21.00 l
Boil Size: 29.81 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 24.96 l
Final Bottling Vol: 19.60 l
Fermentation: Saison
Date: 18 Jul 2014
Brewer: Rob
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: BIAB
Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 93.7 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.50 kg Joe White traditional ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 91.7 %
0.50 kg Joe white wheat malt (3.5 EBC) Grain 2 8.3 %
60.00 g Styrian Goldings old batch [2.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 11.0 IBUs
50.00 g Styrian Goldings old batch [2.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4 5.5 IBUs
10.00 g Aussie cascade [7.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 4.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP568) [50.28 ml] Yeast
6 - 15.00 g Aussie cascade [7.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.4 %
Bitterness: 21.1 IBUs
Est Color: 10.1 EBC

Edit. spaced out ingredients to make it easier to read

Up the Ibus IMHO but it looks good. It should ferment much lower than 1.012, closer to 1.004 or so if it's a saison strain, so be careful.

mje1980 said:
Up the Ibus IMHO but it looks good. It should ferment much lower than 1.012, closer to 1.004 or so if it's a saison strain, so be careful.
Cheers,

so what would you recommend for IBU? 25?

I figured the FG would be lower but I'm not sure how to alter that in Beersmith (if you can) as I assumed the yeast addition would have altered but it didn't

I've only done a few, but I'd go 35 plus for that gravity. My current one is 38 for 1.056, but I plan on bottling this and leaving it for a good 6 months. The yeast should add some tartness but I reckon for the og it might need a little more Ibus.

My latest is inspired from me trying saison DuPont, very dry and highly bitter, but fruity as well. Great beer :).

Id drop the Cascade dry hop.
I used the French hop Triscal in my Dupont dry hopped clone. lovely. Otherwise, Id dry hop with Styrians, keep the theme of the hops going through the beer.
If you want to use American, then stay away from the "grapefruit" hops. eg. Cascade.
Use Centennial, Citra or Mosaic.

I made one with Victoria's Secret, which was delicious.

Tex083 said:
If you can find Strisselspalt its a French hop variety that is probably close to what was used orignally
I imagine what was used originally wouldve been what was locally available surely?

Does that mean my mostly locally sourced ingredients is on par with the idea? Or should I still drop the aussie cascade?

Put the aussie cascade in if you think it will complement the flavours or if you want to find out if it will.
Personally I wouldn't dry hop but if it's what you want to do/try then do it and adjust next time depending on results.

Latest posts

Back