Hops For A Pale Ale Toucan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploto

Reaction score
Planning my next kit brew, I want to use up two cans of Coopers Pale Ale. I have a packet of Brewcellar premium ale yeast which I gather is S-04, so I thought I would aim for a UK Ale leaning towards IPA style.

I'll rely on the kits for bittering but would like to add hops for flavour and aroma. I was thinking of using a classic UK hop such as Fuggles or EKG - are there any others I should be considering? I'd prefer to stick to a single hop variety for simplicity as this will be the first time I boil them up, until now I have only added hops after steeping.

For boiling the hops, is 200g dry malt extract in 2l of water enough, or should I double this? And is it 100g plus 1l water, or 100g plus water to make 1l, that results in a SG of approx 1.040?

Can I use dry wheat malt extract for the hop boil or will this throw the style way out? I'm not trying to stick to BJCP guidelines and I have the dry wheat malt for another brew anyway, so if it's a little bit off I don't mind. Am happy to get dry light malt extract if you think it would be better.

Mostly I need advice for the hop schedule, assuming I use fuggles how much and when should I be adding it?

Sorry for all the questions, seems the more research I do, the more questions I have :) This home brewing is fun and awfully addictive, I shudder to think where I will be in a year from now! :D

I like Bramling Cross as an English hop but it might be a bit fruity for what you are after. It is the hop of Ruddles County. Unfortunately Ruddles has fallen off in quality to what it used to be like.

Yep go for 2L of water and 200g DME for your hop boil should be good.

I actually prefer EKG to Fuggles but that is just my taste. Either should work well could even use Williamette which is the yankee version of Fuggles but a little more fruity IMO.

Short hop boils of 20mins 10 mins and a few at flameout should do you well unless you like a lot of bitterness then 20g@60mins will bump up the bitterness level to IPA levels.

Thanks for the ideas. I might actually go with the EKG if they have it at the home brew shop as I want it for another brew I have planned.

Latest posts

Back