Hops Cure Cancer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_new_darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22825405?dopt=Abstract

Abstract
Bitter acids (BAs) from the hop plant Humulus lupulus L. exhibit multiple beneficial biological properties with promising effects in cancer therapy and prevention, but information regarding the effects on hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is missing. Here, we used two different hop bitter acid extracts enriched for either α-acids or β-acids to obtain insight into whether biological activity varies between these two groups of BAs. At a concentration of 25 g/ml, only the β-acid rich started to induce aspartate transaminase (AST) release, and a significant increase was detected with 50 g/ml of both extracts. Already at lower concentrations both extracts led to a dose-dependent inhibition of proliferation, and migration was suppressed at a concentration as low as 5 g/ml in HCC cells. The focus on different signaling pathways revealed an inhibition of ERK1/2 phosphorylation, downregulation of AP-1 activity and an alleviation of nuclear factor κB (NFκB) activity in HepG2 cells incubated with 5 g/ml of both extracts, whereby the β-acid rich extract showed more pronounced effects. In conclusion, we identified ERK1/2, AP-1 and NFκB, which are important factors in tumor development and progression, as targets of hop BAs. Thus, these data suggest the potential use of BAs as functional nutrients for both prevention and treatment of HCC.

It sounds like a good reason to consume more hops. Would you care to dumb it down for us Darren?
Daz

Your link isn't working - i'm guessing you copy/pasted from your email?

Pity ethanol causes it.

Abstract

N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) is a human cancer initiator suspect. Ethanol, a cancer risk factor, may synergize with nitrosamines by suppressing hepatic clearance, to increase internal exposure. A limitation to these hypotheses is lack of activation of NDMA by many rodent tissues. However, systematic primate studies are lacking. Patas monkeys were utilized to investigate NDMA activation by primate tissues in vivo, generating the promutagenic DNA lesion O6-methylguanine (O6-meG). Adult monkeys received 0.1 mg/kg NDMA by gavage, in some cases preceded by ethanol. Four hours after NDMA only, O6-meG was detected in DNA from all tissues. Levels were highest in gastric mucosa and liver and were only about 50% lower in DNA from white blood cells, esophagus, ovary, pancreas, urinary bladder and uterus. With ethanol co-exposure, amounts of O6-meG increased at least 2-fold in all tissues except liver. The largest effect was in esophagus (17-fold increase), followed by ovary, large intestine, urinary bladder, spleen and cerebellum (9- to 13-fold increases), and uterus, cerebrum and brain stem (7- to 8-fold increases). Alkylguanine alkyltransferase activities varied over a 30-fold range and were highest in liver and stomach. Thus primate tissues, especially those of the gastrointestinal and urogenital organs, are sensitive targets for DNA adduct damage due to NDMA, and ethanol co-exposure leads to striking increases in adducts. Our data support epidemiology implicating nitrosamines in causation of cancers of stomach and other organs, and alcohol as enhancing internal exposure to nitrosamines. 1996 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

Spose you could make a tea out of it..

No all that says is that you shouldn't get monkeys pissed. So I'm ok but I don't hold out much hope for the majority of the population of Morayfield / Caboolture.

So hop alpha and beta acids block Erk1/2 pathways... everything in high enough concentration will mess around with Erk/Akt pathways.. they're a central component of umpteen different signalling pathways.

So hop alpha and beta acids block Erk1/2 pathways... everything in high enough concentration will mess around with Erk/Akt pathways.. they're a central component of umpteen different signalling pathways.
Are you trying to say they contribute to drunkenness??

Ah, but they are measuring outcome as proliferation and migration with Erk1/2 pathway involvement, not any of the other pathways.

d

elephant1.jpg

Is this for humans or animals?
If animals this is a very stupid and dangerous post.

Of substances that have been found promising to prevent or treat cancer, the majority do not prove useful after further testing. Nonetheless, I shall be sure to take my daily dose of hop acids and oils in 4.5% ethanol.

Albendazole is a Schedule 4 Prescription medication only in Australia.
Not available just over the counter.

I have no idea whether it cures cancer, but without any research evidence I doubt it.

I'll delete any further discussion on this medication. Not relevant to brewing, and even as an "off topic" you should take it up with your health care practitioner, not us.

Back