Hoppy Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samwise Gamgee

Reaction score
My original plans for my next brew was going to be a Summer Wheat...................just in time for winter by the time I get to do it, but anyways, i have been pondering on doing a few hop additions mainly for flavour purposes.

I know wheat beers are low ibu's along the lines of 16 ibu and most of the flavour profile is from the wheat and yeast and that by throwing in hops for flavour will probably throw the style right off.

Has anyone done this before? What were your results? What hops and how much did you use?

Cheers,
am

am said:
My original plans for my next brew was going to be a Summer Wheat...................just in time for winter by the time I get to do it, but anyways, i have been pondering on doing a few hop additions mainly for flavour purposes.

I know wheat beers are low ibu's along the lines of 16 ibu and most of the flavour profile is from the wheat and yeast and that by throwing in hops for flavour will probably throw the style right off.

Has anyone done this before? What were your results? What hops and how much did you use?

Cheers,
am
[post="117048"][/post]​

Sam,

Do an American wheat, using dried Saf-56 or equivalent liquid. These wheats are driven by the hops, not by the yeast. I'm drinking one now using all liberty, but would be great with either some cascade, amarillo or simcoe at the finish...

cheers Ross...

Yep,
Ross makes a very HOPPY wheat, Tasty and HOPPY. And it does throw the style off, but it is tasty.

Cheers
Andrew

I'll vouch for the american wheat idea aswell, done a few myself with your standard american ale yeasts, i ussually use wyeast 1272 and hop it up with amirrilo or/and cascade. You don't want to go to over board because its still a straw coloured pale ale with the wheat used to lighten it up in flavour and mouthfeel.
I'am a big fan of these beers.

Born to booze
Jayse

AndrewQLD said:
Yep,
Ross makes a very HOPPY wheat, Tasty and HOPPY. And it does throw the style off, but it is tasty.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="117068"][/post]​

So true
I am not a lover of wheat beers,this is quite well known on this fourm :p
Ross's wheat beer last weekend was a nice drop indeed,despite some photos set up by Andrew and myself :lol:

Batz

PS.
I still hate all other wheats ! :ph34r:

To make it truely American though I think you need to also add some raspberry syrup to make it a Raspberry Wheat.

Go for it am. Nothing to lose.

Doc

I've used 1010 once and I liked it.

Doc, help me here please, do you know where I can get rasberry syrup/extract/pulp/cocentrate from ??? Oh and to keep it on topic it's for my american wheat.

Cheers
Andrew

OK here is my reply.

not everyone is going to like it.

Bloody americans!!!

They have no imagination

They make stout, pale ale, wheat beers, lagers, friggen everything with american hops.

I do know that most people like american hops but i am not a big fan!!!

I made a dunkelweizen yesterday, brewing away happily @ 19 deg with 3068 and hopped at 45 min with hallertau.

I chucked in 1/2g / liter of hallertau at 5 min to give it some zing. I like some hops in a wheat but i cant think of anything worse that bloody yank hops in it.

sorry.

German beer needs german hops.

just my opinoin :ph34r:

shoot at me now :p

cheers

and yes i also made a yank brown ale but i only made it for the ANAWBS and to try these amarillo hops everybody is creaming their pants over :)

i didnt brew a APA cause i did one that i thought was hoppy and the beerfest judges told me it was bland. Fair cop i recon but i have trouble drinking heavily cascaded beers. thats why i went for the ABA. less hops and more malt, just how i like them :)

cheers

Have U considered Grenadine syrup, or even raspberry jam or yoghurt flavouring (for home-made yoghurt)?

Otherwise U might see Mercs Own about some peach concentrate. Or look for another fruit concentrate. Maybe try a supermarket-size delicatessen...for those hard-to-find ingredients.

Or maybe some honey for a Yank honey wheat.

Back to the original thread, you might wanna check some of the online recipe repositories for some impressive prize-winning recipes.

I was going to make a honey IAPA, but may use the honey for an American wheat beeyah, now. Thanks for the inspiration, fellas. You always come through for me.

Otherwise, I have made am am. wheat with 1 plug of Goldings or bittering and 7g of Willamette (mmmm, sweet Willamette) in the last 5 min of the boil.

It's a great style and I wish I could taste more of them. pm me for my postal address and send plenty!
Use a neutral yeast to allow the hops to shine.

Great thread, am!

Seth out :p

AndrewQLD said:
Doc, help me here please, do you know where I can get rasberry syrup/extract/pulp/cocentrate from ??? Oh and to keep it on topic it's for my american wheat.

Never looked for it Andrew.
Do they make a liquid raspberry topping for ice cream, like the chocolate, caramel and other flavours ?

Doc

Tony said:
German beer needs german hops.

[post="117108"][/post]​

Maybe... But an American Wheat, is not a German beer & doesn't pretend to be :p It is a great style all of it's own.

Just for your info, Liberty is very similar to Hallertau... Not all American hops taste of Amarillo :)

cheers Ross...

Yes, I personally hate cascade and almost gag seeing it in brown/stout/wheat recipes that require that subtle balance of (non-fruity) bitterness.

Strawberry clover honey is available in a fair few places, though I haven't tried too hard to seek it out. Leabrook DEFINITELY make it, so you can shop around. If you're in the Adelaide area I'd be guessing they even sell it in fitness hops. The Green Men tell me liberty, santium and simcoe are fairly good (ie subtle) yank hops.

I personally think Amarillo is awesome... a very useful hop and you can taste a good example in James Squire Golden Ale. It's just interesting enough not to be dismissed as 'another yank hop.

Cheers,
Adrian

AndrewQLD said:

Cheers
Andrew
[post="117088"][/post]​

Frozen raspberries work very well. I used 300g in secondary in 10L of wheat beer and the flavour came up great.

No need to smash them up either, if they're anything like the ones I bought; they came with the middle pretty much bored out.

I for one am a big fan of both Tettnang and Spalt in German wheat beers; used judiciously as a late hop they give a lovely spicy character.

Even dry-hoped in a wheat kit beer they make a world of difference.

MHB

I did a summer wheat recently with a shed load of hallertau added, and fermented with the WL heferweizen yeast. Very nice, although i got some strange looks from friends on first taste.

Whoa! What a reponse.

Thanks for all your advice, I think American Wheat is the way to go as i've got quite a bit of Cascade and Amarillo in my hop stocks.

I'll probably use a WLP001 or WLP0051.

Once i've researched a few recipes and put something together i'll post it up for discussion before brewing.

Hey am,

I have to agree that an American Wheat is the way to go, it is a very easy drinking beer :beerbang: The first one I brewed was great... so much so Ross brewed it :D I have another one I will be kegging tomorrow but I upped the wheat to 50% and used Centennial, after sampling from secondary I think it has over powered the wheat and made it more of an APA.

American Wheat

Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 29.25 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.60 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.1 %
2.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 40.3 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 1.6 %
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
30.00 gm Liberty [4.30%] (10 min) Hops 5.8 IBU