Hoppy wheat beer, which hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
fWIW, I believe it's 60/40 Ale malt/wheat malt. No crystal.
Cheers 'babs.

I'm still recovering from the apparent addiction to putting crystal in everything... doing a dry stout today - no crystal in sight!

thanks for the tips people
At work at the moment so will try and extract the handy tips later tonight :)

Tonight I'm kegging my Hopfen Weisse aka hoppy wheat beer.

I used mangroves Bavarian at 18c which ripped through in about 3days, probably due to the 63c mash. I used Citra @60mins and 5mins to get 15ibu (12/3). I dry hopped for 3days before cold crashing today.

Dry hops were 14g each of Citra, Amarillo and Equinox.

Don't get me started on American Wheat beers.......fkn love them!

Les the Weizguy said:
Sorry, I didn't note (and neither did you) that this is an American-style wheat beer.
oversight on my behalf..
now we know its american, the hops fit :)

thanks again everyone for the tips

looks like I'm not lacking for hop ideas and late additions seem to be winning so will likely use up some galaxy and centennial as its been sitting in the freezer the longest

mofox1 said:
You could use centennial for bittering (10 IBU) and then loads of late galaxy bringing the IBU up to around 25ish. Dry hop galaxy at your discretion. My last batch similar to this used 50g Cascade & 50g Galaxy as the dry hop - massive fresh citrus & passionfruit hit. :icon_drool2:
so based on that, this might be the winning combo :)

Simcoe instead of centennial IMO

Big fan of simcoe as a bittering hop

Mind you I avoid centennial like the plague because of that founders IPA .... Might taste good out of the tap but at my local bottleo it's rank

takai said:
Anyone done a lacto sour mash on the same? Im considering doing one with Lacto. P. to pH3.6 in mash, 30-35IBU of the 3-Cs and WLP320
takai said:
No-one trying for a sour?
Don't take it the wrong way, Takai, it's just that it's probably too much of a departure from the OPs post.

Maybe someone will PM you if they have advice, or have a look for some sour mash threads.

Cheers

Danwood said:
Don't take it the wrong way, Takai, it's just that it's probably too much of a departure from the OPs post.

Maybe someone will PM you if they have advice, or have a look for some sour mash threads.

Cheers
Fair enough. Just suggesting somethign that would likely go well with the new world interpretation.

takai said:
Fair enough. Just suggesting somethign that would likely go well with the new world interpretation.
I'm not adventurous enough for sour's ;)

Les the Weizguy said:
Sorry, I didn't note (and neither did you) that this is an American-style wheat beer.
It was late and I did not check your link until this morning, so I assumed a hoppy wheat brewed with German yeast.

This revelation is a game-changer.I have brewed some very nice Yank wheat beers, and if beer styles are not inhibitive, you go for it. This style can certainly stand the IPA hopping treatment.

I recall the James Squire wheat beer of years gone by, with it's German-style yeast (WLP300, iirc) and fruity late hopping. Was a great beer and I'd certainly pay to be able to buy it again.

I will suggest that Galaxy and Topaz were overpowering together in the last one that I brewed. Now hop along...

Are you referring to the Mad Brewers Hoppy Hefe? Such an awesome beer

Spohaw said:
Simcoe instead of centennial IMO

Big fan of simcoe as a bittering hop

Mind you I avoid centennial like the plague because of that founders IPA .... Might taste good out of the tap but at my local bottleo it's rank
I love centennial and was pretty disappointed with the Founders IPA but I put it down to the bittering.
IMO centennial is a brilliant flavour / aroma hop but a bad bittering hop.

Sounds like galaxy , not much chop as a bittering hop but flavour/aroma it's great

I'll grab a 50gm pack of it to give it a chance

Back