Hoppy ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew james

Reaction score
Hi guys, have changed my recipe and after any advice as have changed it a lot. Doing an extract brew with steeping crystal malt.
3.4kg liquid light malt extract
500g dextrose
350g crystal malt steeped 30 mins at 65c
30g chinook 13% aa 60min
30g amarillo 9% aa 30min
30g citra 8.5% aa 30 min
30g amarillo and citra 10 min
40g amarillo and citra fo
30g chinook fo
Dry hop 30g citra 45g amarillo 15g chinook after roughly 5 days fermentation and leave for 3 days.
After steeping crystal in 11l 65c water for 30 mins discard grain and add half lme, bring to a boil. After 50 min (after some of hop additions) add remaining lme and dextrose. After fo additions cool wort to 50c then add roughly 12l chilled water to fermentation vessel. Stir well and When temperature is around 20c pitch 2 packs of us05 saf yeast and ferment between 18-22c

After punching the figures into my wort app it gave me an og of 1.068 with an fg of 1.017 with abv 6.7% ibus 112.3 however from what ive read because i am diluting the 11l wort with 12l water this ibu should be roughly halved which would put me in the ipa ibu range.
Cheers for the help so far guys! Appreciated!

i reckon that will be too bitter... in the brewing app did you put it in as 23L?

Maybe just cut back the bittering charge to 10 or 15g of chinook, target somewhere between 60 and 75IBU , might want to move the 30 mins hops to 15 or 20 mins, you will get a lot more flavour that way i reckon.

Looks good otherwise, BTW i am not sure you need to steep the crystal that long, 15-20 mins should be plenty, esp if its crushed fine.

Also this article while a bit old might help out a bit

http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

I've done a few beers with nothing but 20 min additions onwards, they turn out chock full of hoppiness.

Legend!
Cheers will cut back the chinook to 15g and change my 30min to 20 min additions.

Back