Hopping & Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkblade

Reaction score
A few questions re hopping.

After jakethesnake559 & others answered my previous post I have been doing more thinkin/homework.

I am after a hoppier/less sweet beer so I will dry hop my pale ale & use nottingham yeast.
I will also NOT add extra malt as I have on previous efforts......

My questions are;
* If the object of dry hopping is to add the hop/floral flavour lost during fermentation process, why bother to do a hop steep at the beginning of the ferment? Wouldn't it be better to use these hops in a latter dry hop addition?
*And around what time should I consider biffing the hops into the fermenter? Around day 7 of 10?

Thanks to all for previous replies to my questions. Most appreciated.

* If the object of dry hopping is to add the hop/floral flavour lost during fermentation process, why bother to do a hop steep at the beginning of the ferment? Wouldn't it be better to use these hops in a latter dry hop addition?
I see where you are coming from but the flavour added by late kettle additions and dry hopping aren't exactly the same. If you're trying to increase late hop flavour then increase your late hop additions. If you're looking to complement your late hopping with dry hopping then do both.

Dry hopping adds very little flavour mostly aroma. Add dry hops after about 4 days when the fermentation has slowed down or if you cold condition chuck the hops in then leave for a week or so until you are ready to bottle/keg.

P.S> a strange place to place a hopping question.

Back