hopping and crashing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzagahan

Reaction score
Hello brewers, would it make more sense to dry hop after crash chilling? That way the hop oils retain their aroma and are still volatile when bottled. If the hops go into the fermenter before chilling, they're in there for possible too long and the volatile oils are messed about with low temps. has anyone got a thought on this?

Yeah I was wondering the same. I dry hopped and then crashed on my last beer...but haven't tasted/smelled finished product yet.

About to do similar with my next one.

I do this quite a lot. Mostly, but not exclusively, in the keg.

Ive an APA in crashing right not that I dry hopped on the day I crashed it.

My fermentation regime for a standard Pale Ale is 7 days @ 18c, 3 days @ 20c, 4 days @ 0c, with dry hops added at the beginning of the chilling phase. I'm quite happy with the aroma I get from this procedure.

mosto said:
My fermentation regime for a standard Pale Ale is 7 days @ 18c, 3 days @ 20c, 4 days @ 0c, with dry hops added at the beginning of the chilling phase. I'm quite happy with the aroma I get from this procedure.
Sounds like a plan...

Do you tfr to secondary for the 3 days @ 20?

This is an as far as I can tell, not established truth. However there are plenty of commercial brewers who I got this idea from.

I cold dry hop for flavor. I warm dry hop for aroma. Very roughly speaking. As far as I can tell each gives some of the other, but basically cold for flavor and warm for aroma.

If you ever do dry hop the in keg by the way, some kind of tea ball or hop sock is a must.
Dismantling and cleaning basically everything downstream of the dip tube to, and including the tap of hop pellet debris must be one of the biggest pain in the arse shit fights in homebrewing.

Back