Hopped up Mild (slightly...)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awall

Reaction score
I'd like some thoughts on this recipe. I've made an extract + specialty grains mild before with 2kg DME, 200g light crystal, 200g dark crystal and 200g chocolate. The previous mild was too watery and i feel it would've been excellent with a bit more crystal for body/sweetness (i added a bit much water so it was probably 23.5-24L too). This time i increased the crystal amounts and added 200g of biscuit. I'm also going to try pale choc as it sounds nice. I have some NS hops so i'm going to throw some in to get a slight increase in bitterness and flavour. Hoping it and the dark crystal will complement each other.

Can anyone see something that looks off? Is biscuit a good choice and should i add/remove anything (too much crystal or too bitter???)? I do 15L boils so the final beer may be a touch lower in IBU's. Oh and i've done a partial mash BIAB, but this will be the first AG beer for me. I've managed 3.3kg of grain so 3.5kg will be ok. Can't do much more though.

Original Gravity (OG): 1.034 (°P): 8.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 3.34 %
Colour (SRM): 17.9 (EBC): 35.3
Bitterness (IBU): 33.5 (Average)
Volume (L): 23

71.43% American 2-Row 2.5kg
8.57% Crystal 120 300g
8.57% Crystal 60 300g
5.71% Biscuit 200g
5.71% Chocolate, Pale 200g

0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) 20g
0.9 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) 20g
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) 20g
0.9 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) 20g

Will be fermented with S-04.

Thanks! This forum is excellent BTW, great people here and full of info! :kooi:

If you are wanting to keep body in this beer then mash high 68°-70°C an consider using Windsor instead of S-04.
That should finish at 1.012+.
For my tastes only I would be halving the IBU's but as I said that is just my preference.

Ah thank you! I completely forgot about the mash temp and fermentability. The last beer finished at 1.011 and is just kind of watery so a bit of extra gravity couldn't hurt. I'll make sure I keep the mash temps up.

Looking at the recipe it does seem like a bit much crystal esp. with the biscuit, so I might drop the lighter crystal a bit. I'll see if i can get some windsor, but i think my local shop doesn't stock it, so may end up using S-04. Just curious, but has anyone tried a US style yeast like WLP-001 or US-05 in a mild? I'm thinking it could be ok in this beer, esp with the increased bitterness.

Latest posts

Back