Hopped pale extract for lazy Brewdog DIY etc recipes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
I have done some AG Brewdog DIY recipes, but contemplating that when time is limited I could throw on a quick one using a suitable kit beer to serve as the hopped pale extract base and add LME or DME and the spec grains to make up to an IPA, bitter, stout or whatever.

Ideally I suppose it would be a kit with a very high percentage of pale malt in the ingredients, and not much hop character, so it's easier to approximate the ratios of spec grains in the Brewdog recipes.

I saw an old Dr Smurto post that said he typically used Coopers Draught, Lager or Real Ale kits for his recipes. That seems like a good selection, depending on the recipe.

But thought I'd ask if anyone else had tips for a go-to kit beer for this purpose.

Cheers, B

You can play with brew software to determine what IBU the early additions of your recipe will add. Just stick the whole recipe in to some software and it will tell you how many IBU the early additions contribute.

The find a kit that is close to that.

What recipe are you interested in from DIY Dog?

I have done some AG Brewdog DIY recipes, but contemplating that when time is limited I could throw on a quick one using a suitable kit beer to serve as the hopped pale extract base and add LME or DME and the spec grains to make up to an IPA, bitter, stout or whatever.

Ideally I suppose it would be a kit with a very high percentage of pale malt in the ingredients, and not much hop character, so it's easier to approximate the ratios of spec grains in the Brewdog recipes.

I saw an old Dr Smurto post that said he typically used Coopers Draught, Lager or Real Ale kits for his recipes. That seems like a good selection, depending on the recipe.

But thought I'd ask if anyone else had tips for a go-to kit beer for this purpose.

Cheers, B

I've only done a few beers so far but used Brewtarget which is a free open source software. I got the kit IBUs off here / Google and added them as a custom hop and tweaked the amount at 60 min on the software to get the correct IBUs in the recipe, also added the fermentable as a similar LME. From there added steeping grains, more fermentables and the hop schedule. Worked pretty well OG and FG were pretty dead nuts on and the end result was good enough for everyone to be super impressed for my first rodeo. Used a Coopers brew A IPA as the base for one and Coopers APA for the other. I'd recommend one of the more subdued lager / draught / amber for a base and working from there. I'm more inclined personally to just used extracts and hop yourself if you have something specific you want to model from. I feel steeping grains in correct ratio made a big improvement in body and head retention, more than i was expecting. Also, ive only been using us05 as a yeast, havent tried the kit yeast as yet. Cheers! Sorry about formatting, phone won't let me add lines....

Cheers, B

I've only done a few beers so far but used Brewtarget which is a free open source software. I got the kit IBUs off here / Google and added them as a custom hop and tweaked the amount at 60 min on the software to get the correct IBUs in the recipe, also added the fermentable as a similar LME. From there added steeping grains, more fermentables and the hop schedule. Worked pretty well OG and FG were pretty dead nuts on and the end result was good enough for everyone to be super impressed for my first rodeo. Used a Coopers brew A IPA as the base for one and Coopers APA for the other. I'd recommend one of the more subdued lager / draught / amber for a base and working from there. I'm more inclined personally to just used extracts and hop yourself if you have something specific you want to model from. I feel steeping grains in correct ratio made a big improvement in body and head retention, more than i was expecting. Also, ive only been using us05 as a yeast, havent tried the kit yeast as yet. Cheers!

Back