Hope it's not ruined!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lethaldog

Reaction score
Just brewed a chocolate vanilla Porter on the weekend and everything was going fine till tonight when I decided to remove the blowoff tube and put the airlock back in and pushed the rubber grommet into the fermenter of beer, what's the chances of this infecting my beer(it was new) ? Any positive words would help right now, gutted to think it could be stuffed, guess I'll just have to wait and see!

No new out of the pack, kicking myself cos I'm normally not that careless but was also worried about what the rubber would impart on the beer but I'm sure that couldn't be too much, just hope I haven't stuffed it, oh well fingers crossed, did you rack it out straight away or just leave it in there?

Well thanks mate you have eased my stress a little, at the end of the day there isn't much I can do now anyway so fingers crossed,
Cheers

Thnx mate, this is exactly what I wanted to hear, I've been brewing for 20 years and never done this before, I'm generally anal about being clean and sanitized but had a brain fade tonight lol

Now seems like a good time to come clean...I have dipped a whole plastic bottle and my fingers in my fermenter to get a sample to force carb and taste test :lol: Don't stress about your grommet.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]thnx MIK-E I think you just made my day !

I know that this sort of thing can go both ways, but I've found that it's pretty rare that anything goes wrong.

Some years ago, I was moving my fermenter and as I was carrying it through a slightly narrow door, the damned lid popped off, rolled away and settled with the inside lying down, touching the not particularly clean floor. I decided the best thing I could do was to sit the fermenter down right there and take the lid away to sanitise it. Two minutes later I was back with the sanitised lid, finding one of my cats (the one, of course, whose paws are not known for their cleanliness as he puts them everywhere) standing up against the fermenter with one paw well submerged in the drink, splashing it about while clearly having the time of his life knowing what agony that would cause me. There wasn't much I could do, other than shoo the little shit away and put the lid back on. I was pretty sure that would be a lost cause but it turned out fine.

I'm guessing your rubber stopper will be OK, too. :)

What are my chances of infection???
I had something similar happen to me on Sunday as I was finishing off my first AG brew off.

I was siphoning the wort from the kettle with a racking cane and silicon hose about 15mins after flame out. It didn't take too long to block as i didn't whirlpool and had the sediment cap on the bottom of the cane.
I hastily took the tube off the cane and shoved it in the kettle, then with a slip of the mind i began to suck on the other end of the hose to restart siphoning and stuck it right into the bottom of my cube (no chill).

I'll be back home from working away all week on Friday night and was thinking if it doesn't smell or look suspect I might be lucky!
It has been sitting in 18C ferment fridge the whole time and it has been suggested that i just reboil it then chill it in a cube in an ice bath to get it to pitch temp ASAP.

Questions are;
Would the temps have been high enough that potential bacteria on my lips wouldn't have survived?
Should i reboil, toss it or just straight up ferment it?

Reading the above posts i like my chances but wanna play it safe being my first brew.

Harri3e said:
What are my chances of infection???
I had something similar happen to me on Sunday as I was finishing off my first AG brew off.

I was siphoning the wort from the kettle with a racking cane and silicon hose about 15mins after flame out. It didn't take too long to block as i didn't whirlpool and had the sediment cap on the bottom of the cane.
I hastily took the tube off the cane and shoved it in the kettle, then with a slip of the mind i began to suck on the other end of the hose to restart siphoning and stuck it right into the bottom of my cube (no chill).

I'll be back home from working away all week on Friday night and was thinking if it doesn't smell or look suspect I might be lucky!
It has been sitting in 18C ferment fridge the whole time and it has been suggested that i just reboil it then chill it in a cube in an ice bath to get it to pitch temp ASAP.

Questions are;
Would the temps have been high enough that potential bacteria on my lips wouldn't have survived?
Should i reboil, toss it or just straight up ferment it?

Reading the above posts i like my chances but wanna play it safe being my first brew.
If it was 15 minutes after flame out, depending on the size of your batch, it would have been pretty hot - probably about 90-95C so I think you will be fine, definitely don't toss it!

When I finished the boil (in a keggle) I had approx 22ltrs remaining. At what temperature would it have had to be at for a chance of infection, 80-85C?

Harri3e said:
When I finished the boil (in a keggle) I had approx 22ltrs remaining. At what temperature would it have had to be at for a chance of infection, 80-85C?
As long as it was above 71C (and it would have been for sure), that's hot enough to kill most potential contaminants. You wouldn't want to get a mouthful of wort at that temperature though!

Anything above 60 degrees is within pasteurisation temperatures. Don't worry.

Similar experience of doing silly things, I am notorious for dropping stir plate widgets into the fermenter along with the yeast starter. Every time I tell myself I need to be careful about it and I still manage to drop it in.

Latest posts

Back