Hopburst Apa Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salt

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a base recipe sorted for an APA I wish to brew this weekend, however have a bunch of Hops on hand and am not sure what combos would work well together...I would like to do a Hopburst APA so at least three different hops in combination from maybe 20mins onwards...

I have the following hops on hand;
Zythos
NZ Cascade
Motueka
Citra
Galaxy
all full 100g packs

whilst I have some 'old' NS and Amarillo (about 50g of each)

What combo's would work well together? Would love to hit around 40IBUs from 20mins onwards, but with heaps of flavour and aroma...open to all suggestions.

Cheers
Mark

Pretty much any combo of those will be good as they are all citrus/piney, personally i'd be going Motueka/Amarillo/Cascade

Hey all,

I have a base recipe sorted for an APA I wish to brew this weekend, however have a bunch of Hops on hand and am not sure what combos would work well together...I would like to do a Hopburst APA so at least three different hops in combination from maybe 20mins onwards...

Zythos
NZ Cascade
Motueka
Citra
Galaxy
all full 100g packs

What combo's would work well together? Would love to hit around 40IBUs from 20mins onwards, but with heaps of flavour and aroma...open to all suggestions.

Cheers
Mark

None of those will work together. Give them to me and I will dispose of them............ :beerbang:

Out of curiosity, what is your grain bill in percentages? and Target OG?

Hey all,

Zythos
NZ Cascade
Motueka
Citra
Galaxy
all full 100g packs

Cheers
Mark

Out of curiosity, what is your grain bill in percentages? and Target OG?

The Grain bill will be similar to DrSmurtos Golden Ale with a few minor adjustments, while Im aiming for a target OG of around 1.050

Cheers

How about this...

Equal amounts of Zythos, Cascade, Motueka, Citra and Amarillo as a 10min APA to around 40IBUs ... OG of 1.050

Thoughts?

Yeah I think it is, its defintely a blend...

Would you suggest dropping the Zythos and focusing on the other hops?

Cheers

How about this...

Equal amounts of Zythos, Cascade, Motueka, Citra and Amarillo as a 10min APA to around 40IBUs ... OG of 1.050

Thoughts?

That will taste like a citrus orchard in blossom.

I've never used Zythos but to me it appears appealling to use in a apa/ipa by itself.
The Motueka & NZ Cascade would go well in a lite body like Smurto's.

I've never used Zythos but to me it appears appealling to use in a apa/ipa by itself.
The Motueka & NZ Cascade would go well in a lite body like Smurto's.

I did a 15min Zythos APA recently. Finished the keg a few weeks ago. It was okay - nothing special, and took a couple of weeks to "clean up" as the bittering was a little harsh at first. I think I'd rather do my own combo of C hops.

If they made it as an alternative to Amarillo they don't have a sense of taste. It doesn't have any of the Amarillo character.

To the OP - I'd use Citra and Amarillo to 30 IBUs at 10 min, but that's just me. Those two go together great - especially in an Amber with loads of caraaroma.

Nelson and Citra play well together, and I've done Citra, Nelson, Galaxy and Cascade together (and others have since used the same recipe).

I'll see if I can dig up the recipe.....Found it

There's even photos in the thread, questions and comments from others - testimonials, if you will! ;)

I noticed that Niko has Falconers flight - and they've actually mentioned what hops make up the mixture. Citra gets a mention, of course.

Ok so ordered the grain today (slight adjustment on DRSGA)...

Have decided on the following 'Hopburst' combo for a 10min addition only. Worked out average AA% rating to be 9.2%, which should give the Beer and IBU rating of 39 (OG will be 1.053)

40g Amarillo
30g Nelson Sauvin
30g Cascade NZ
40g Motueka

Brewing on Friday, so hopefully it gives me a nice hoppy APA with plenty of flavour and aroma...not sure yet if I will dry hop or not

Cheers

Latest posts

Back