Hop Utilization

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Dog Brewery

Reaction score
Hi All,

I usually boil all my malt extract in 15 litres adding hops etc however I wanted to not boil my extract for a few brews so I was wondering what the relationship is for hop utilization in relation to the amout of malt in the boil? In the extreme, what result would I get from a 60 min boil with just water including late additions. If I need some malt what is the minimum amount for good hop extraction for bittering / aroma etc.

Thanks

Cheers

Hi All,

I usually boil all my malt extract in 15 litres adding hops etc however I wanted to not boil my extract for a few brews so I was wondering what the relationship is for hop utilization in relation to the amout of malt in the boil? In the extreme, what result would I get from a 60 min boil with just water including late additions. If I need some malt what is the minimum amount for good hop extraction for bittering / aroma etc.

Thanks

Cheers

There is a magic number for maximum utilisation. I think it needs to be at least 1020 or something but I'm not certain of it.

I used to quite often use just the water from steeping grains and either no extract until the last 10 minutes, or about 500g - 1kg if I didn't have any grains or didn't have so many. Just water is not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back