Hop Utilisation After Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filby

Reaction score
So I have been pondering this for awhile and thought I would ask the knowledgeable people on here what they think. So, as we know, the extraction of AA from hops occurs at over 80deg or so. So when you stop the boil and let everything settle before draining off the wort the temperature doesn't drop below 90deg for quite some time. So as far as I can tell there is still utilisation occuring during this post boil period but there's no way to calculate it. Do the brewing programs allow for a certain post boil period in the IBU calculations or does it assume you chill instantly after finishing the boil?

Cheers

Fil

Absolutely, we have been doing some testing of this and yes AA continues to be converted to Iso-AA as the wort cools, I posted a graph of the results of the first experiment a few weeks ago.
That was for a no-chill cube but the exact same process is going on in the whirlpool and/or any stand at temperatures over about 70oC.
The whole point of the experiments we are conducting is to prove and refine an equation that will accurately predict Iso-Alpha levels (bitterness), at present the best equations in use arent all that good, hopefully that will change.
Mark

Back