Hop Usage Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi guys,
After a bulk buy with a couple of other AHB'ers I've got meself with a sh$# load of hops. I've got about 1.25 KG of hops made up in equal measures of Santium, Ahtanum, Challenger, and Crystal.

Now, I've never used any of these hops before, and I can't find a single resource which tells me what I can do with the first couple. Most of the hop reference charts I've got don't mention them.

Can anyone suggest a few types of beers these hops suite.

Jayse and GMK - what have you planned to make with yours?

THanks guys
Boots

BEER!
:lol:

We used some in the 666.

Santiam is derived from Tettnanger, use it in lagers seems like a good idea. Crystal has a fine perfume-like aroma, so use in something where a hop aroma is not called for.

Challenger is a general puprpose English ale hop. Reasonably high alpha, but a nice enough aroma you could brew an all-challenger ale

Ahtanum, no info seems to drip from beer sodden brain, but bittering or aroma addition in lagers seems like a good use.

A quick Google on any of these will bring up heaps of hits, check out in particular the Yakima Chief reference

Jovial Monk

I just did a cream ale with crystal fitting to the exact specs(or there abouts) for the style yesterday.
it was based loosely around my original mountain goat pale clonely recipe which uses german hallertau.
The crystal are said to be similar and of the same origin and they do have that hallertau flavour i was hoping for with a desent amount of spice.
Its a simple very very pale ale with pilsner malt,some carapils and some torrified wheat and only 22 ibu using wyeast 1272.

I think boots you could add any of the hops on the end of whatever brew your doing really.
but i'd leave the challanger for a real english style beer.
i'll let you know when i get around to using the ahtunum and santium.

For some added complexity why not try a mix of the santium, crystal and ahtunum in your next brew.

Jayse

Thanks Jayse, that's kinda more what I was after.

I have an Irish Ale 1084 sitting in the fridge (thanks GMK), so maybe I'll do an extract + grains Porter and use the challenger (unless there's a reason not to) - if you don't think the challenger are for a darker beer like that, I'll get an english ale yeast and do a bitter.

The other yeast I have is the 1056 American Ale, so perhaps I could do as you suggested and use all three of the others in a pale ale and see what i get.

Thanks for the comments

cheers
Boots

For the porter you don't need any hop flavour at all i believe but go ahead and use the challanger for 35 ibu at the start and maybe around 15 g at 15 mins before the end.
The bitter is a good idea but i think challanger are a little one dimensional by themselves. I like to mix them up with EKG and northern brewer.

The pale ale is a good idea also.
So get your gear out a make up some nice beer boots and discover for yourself the flavours. Just keep it conventional and don't try anything out of the ord and you'll make damn frine beer.

Jayse

Back