Hop Trellis On A Budget : Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just want to get or see any ideas for cheap hop trellis , I've got a bit of room in my back yard so not real space issue.
Currently got two hop plants in but now need a trellis setup but since im low on $ I want to do it on the cheap.

Anyone got links/pics/ideas on what I can use? heights etc..

cheers

Gavin.

edit:changed the 1/2 acre statement didn't mean I was going to use 1/2 an acre.. just two plants at the moment.

iv been thinking about the same thing

the only cheep option i thought of was if you can find a stand of bamboo somewhere you can cut
then do a 3 legged tee-pee over the plant

the problem with this idea for me is i can't find any bambo

In a word... Bunnings!!... I didn't quite do 1/2 an acre but they have really good options from Plastic to metal and cheap wood as well. If I wasn't away until Dec I would be setting up the plants again using stuff from there... or trying to find a place to hide all the things I didn't need from there before the minister of fun and finance see's it all!

Can you run wires from existing structures and attach lines to that?

Or score old posts from the dump, refuse station, friends etc.

I put an old basketball pole dug into the ground and will extend lines Along my 6ft fence at a distance. then run twine or similar from the plants to the wire at sections.

How tall's the house? I'v got a similar sized yard but am going to keep the plant in a very large pot and train it up three runs of wire up to the gutters on the north face of the house. We're double story but I'd imagine you could do similar over the gutters and up to the apex of the roof if it suits.

can't attach to the house at all its about 60m from it.. they're in the back paddock type thing have to be stand alone..

Thinking of two 4m treated pine posts, trying to source some cheap 2nd hand ones or something..

keep the ideas coming please.

gav

Check out your local recycling yard/tip. Should be plenty of cheap material on hand to build something basic to get your hops heading to the stars...

I just use twine from the green shed to train the bines up.

I put some cascade hops in thanks to Yob advice,but i can't see where you are getting at the $ problem the things are a weed really.

I've used some spare 90mm stormy pipe...tee on top and a metre each side and cut slots to tie the twine into to stop them shuffling along...

I used the polls of the old trampoline. I got 4 about 5m high with rope between and twine to the ground.

I used the polls of the old trampoline. I got 4 about 5m high with rope between and twine to the ground.

I have hops growing in several ways. I have some strung up to a branch on a tall tree, some growing along horizontal string strung between two angle irons (when they reach the top I''ll just strap on some extensions, some between the house and the kids swing set, some from pots to the top of the supports for a kids caged (netted?) trampoline (heights extended with some poles chucked in the ends and a cross bar added on top),.........take your pick. Managed very good harvests so far.

Forward me your email and I'll send you a nice article on just what you are after.

R

Dwarf hops give a good yield for only a short trellis, but don't mention dwarf hops on AHB, that would be blasphemy. :ph34r:

I still have a "telegraph pole" in my back yard from my hop growing experiments years ago, just a single jarrah upright pole about 1"x2" a few metres long that was attached to a trellis that goes across my back fence with a crossbar across the top about a metre wide which has a few eye bolts fixed to it. All up it is about 5m tall. I attached a couple of lengths of the thick green sisal garden string from the eyebolts down to ground level for the bines to run up.
I gave up trying to grow hops in the Perth summer after two seasons...

On a sort of related note; How would hops go growing over the outside of a large, 'enclosed' vegetable garden. The walls are made from cyclone fencing & it has chicken wire overhead.

Hops like to grow upwards but not sideways so much. One thing you can do is grow them up and then lay them down once they have grown a bit. Leave the tip with about 20-30cm pointing upwards though if you want them to grow some more.

Latest posts

Back