Hop Thief 6 Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulyman said:
Hi Bribie,

I had 3 attempts at a hop thief clone using extract. The last two came out real nice, they were both 40 IBU.
IPAs and AIPAs are styles that go very well on extract / partials. Ask Moodgett the medal man :p
I'm even half toying with idea of tossing in a tin of Coopers Lager I've had sitting around for six months and cut the base malt back accordingly. Then I can just do a single strong mash plus sparge instead of two regular mash/ boils, being as it's a 42L brew. Waste not want not.

Bribie G said:
I'd forgotten all about this thread, and last night I picked up a six of Hop Thief 6 from the local. Before Xmas I pitched a batch of American IPA and something rang a bell... I'd used Choc, Simcoe and Columbus in it so it may turn out like a rocket fuel verson of HT ... 6% abv

I'll keg tomorrow and report.
However that leaves my 60L fermenter free so I've tweaked the recipe into an APA to brew today and pitch tomorrow, will definitely do a side by side with HT when that's ready as well.

I don't have Munich unfortunately so using MO to add a bit more meat to the bone. Anyone had a stab at guessing what the IBU of HT is?

Hoppy thief
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 42.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.500
Total Hops (g): 40.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.42 %
Colour (SRM): 14.7 (EBC): 29.0
Bitterness (IBU): 33.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
9.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (94.74%)
0.300 kg Crystal 120 (3.16%)
0.200 kg Chocolate Malt (2.11%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Columbus Pellet (16.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
15.0 g Simcoe Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
5.0 g Columbus Pellet (16.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 g/L)
5.0 g Simcoe Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast / blended with Coopers Kit yeast - long story :blink:

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

ed: oops I didn't have the no chill box ticked in Brewmate, so that ups it to around 38 IBU that seems more like it.
I'd love to know how this turned out Bribie :)

da bump.

I found that the above recipe turned out a bit "muddy" and not too aromatic in the hops so I've decided to do a version based on Westy's OP recipe and use a fresh batch of San Diego Super Yeast, as I'm sure a lot of the problem was the weird Coopers yeast blend I used as an emergency.

ed: I'll also be just using a bittering addition in the main boil that will get no-chilled. Tomorrow I'll do the late additions in a stockpot with some reserved wort, plus of course dry hopping in the FV.

Now, I still don't have Munich and wonder if I could use BB, some crystal and slip in either 100 of Victory or 100 of Melanoidin to mimic Munich?

Working recipe

Hop to the thief.jpg

All finished now but it was one of the best APAs I've ever made, thanks to the hop combination.
So I brewed another batch but mistakenly pitched it with an Aussie Pale Ale slurry.

oops.

I expect it will be drinkable but not quite Hop Thief.

:unsure:

Kegged / bottled it just now. It's a really tasty drop off the Aussie ale yeast and works perfectly, at least from the samples I quaffed out of primary. Quite "Squire" tasting in fact.

Just bought a case of Hop Thief 7, with Mosaic and Galaxy. I wanted to compare it to my recent Mosaic IPA, I can finally say I have brewed something better than a commercial example. Yay.

Number 7 is alright, I can't taste or smell any Galaxy it's all Mosaic to me. But it seems a bit watery? I'm glad Squire are doing a beer like this, it will hopefully continue to be the gate way beer for the masses like it was for me, but I think I'm going to stick to mine from now on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's amazing how JS can take two of my favourite hops and produce such an average beer with them. I was excited when I first saw the hop combo of the tap at The Charming Squire and disappointed after tasting it. Hop thieves 5 & 6 were much better IMHO.

Hey JS, stop hogging all the Galaxy!

HT 7 is a waste of good hops IMO (tried it in bottle and on draft). Real shame as that combo had serious potential. HT6 is a much better beer

Blind Dog said:
HT 7 is a waste of good hops IMO (tried it in bottle and on draft). Real shame as that combo had serious potential. HT6 is a much better beer
Tried the ht7 on tap and bought a case. Rather have the 6

Bribie G said:
Working recipe
Hey Bribie,

Just wanted to ask. That recipe seems very light on the hops (maybe I'm just heavy handed with mine). Are those numbers correct and is that chill or no chill?

Thanks,

Hey guys,

Sorry to dredge an old one up but I'm gearing up to have a crack at my first BIAB (always thought it too hard but then did a rye whiskey mash - go figure) and I thought this a good one to start on.

Am i right to assume this recipe for a 23l ferment?

Cheers

Single infusion I'd be aiming for 64 deg C for 90 min then raising to 70 or above to finish off

Back