Hop Thief 6 Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westo

Reaction score
Love this beer i put it right up there at a close 2nd to the mighty SN Torpedo and my new #1 APA :)
anyway im brewing my first attempt at a clone of this tomorrow has anyone else tried to clone it yet?

here is my first crack at it....

Grain
------------------------------

4.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC)
0.45 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)
0.30 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)

Hops
------------------------------------

15.00 g Columbus [15.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min
30.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
15.00 g Columbus [15.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
30.00 g Columbus [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 3 days

est ABV 5.1% 40IBU

aiming for 66c mash for 60min

Hi Westo

Im in the stages of planning one like this. From the bottle they list the malts as pale, munich and crystal. The hops in their words are "Simcoe hops deliver a passionfruit and citrus like aroma" so im using this as a flavor / aroma only hop. "Columbus adds complexity and an eartly flavor" - so im using the columbus as my bittering hop

My recipe (so far) is as follows. My grains are based on what I have in stock at the moment.

For a 19L batch

3.5kg Joe White Trad Ale
0.4kg JW Light Munich
0.2kg Simpsons Medium Crystal
0.1kg Weyermann Caraaroma

Mash at 67degC for 60 mins, heat to 76degC for Mash Out

Hops
10g Columbus at 60min
10g Columbus at 25 min
10g Simecoe at 5min
10g Simcoe at flameout

Yeast - WL001

Est OG - 1.050, 35.7 IBU, 5.1% ABV

Im probably not going to be able to make this until August so I would be interested to know how yours goes Westo

I thought that the hop thief was centennial and citra, I'm sure I saw it written on the bottle or the tap somewhere...

Ahhhhh, I didn't realize they were constantly playing with it and releasing it... that's kinda cool :)

Made a rookie mistake today got the urn up to mash in temp and started adding the grain then relised i hadn't put the BIAB Bag in first... ROOKIE MOVE!! so after recircing and scooping with a strainer i thought i had most of the grain out of the boil only to discover after running through the plate chiller and getting to the bottom of the urn that there was a SHIT load of grain still in there :( ... i only ran a 30min boil so hoping it wont ruin the beer only time will tell.......

might have to make this one again if turns out bad

Bought this today to try,I like it ,be interesting to hear the results of the recipes and comparisons as people's tastes can vary.
Has a nice colour in the glass and taste, reminds me of a beer I had o,seas Xmas time but I can't remember what it was which is driving me nuts.

Looking forward to following this thread. I'm doing an extract brew this weekend with Simcoe and Columbus being the stars.

HT 6 is excellent on Tap. My favourite beer atm is Hop Hog I rate that an 8/10 and HT6 @ 7/10 on tap.

In a stubbies take off one.

So a clone of either will please me no end.

TS

DU99 said:
Westo..Batch size is 23l i gather
yeah i ended up with 21 ltrs in the fermenter with an OG of 1.046 fell 3 short of Beer smith predicted 1.049 so this may fall short of hitting 5% .. us-05 yeast pitched and is currently in the fermenting fridge doing its thing

Trying to figure out a no chill variant that will still keep me to 40-46 IBU's

Cant help you there sorry rheffera as i use a plate chiller. From what i have seen there are mixed opinions on rather no chill actually does add bitterness or not,

will be taking a Gravity reading tomorrow as well as adding the 30g columbus for dry hopping... getting closer to seeing how this turns out now.

So took a reading today and got 1.010 threw in 30g columbus for the 3 day dry hop looks like this one will be 4.8% i fell a little short.. of my est 5.1%. sample had a nice aroma to it and tasted great but wont know for sure how close or far it is untill i keg it and put it up against a real one.

menoetes said:
I thought that the hop thief was centennial and citra, I'm sure I saw it written on the bottle or the tap somewhere...
Centennial + Citra is #5. I've seen it around at a few places the last week still but am keen to check out the new one.

**UPDATE**

Tastes amazing and the aroma from the Columbus is awesome,, i got lazy and did not clear this beer i usually use gelatine with excellent results.

I dont have a hop thief to compare to so will have to go buy one this week and see how they stack up,, but deafinatly happy with the beer and will make again,, will wait to try against the real one first to see if any adjustments are needed to get it closer otherwise its a winner in my books :)

tried to post picture but aparently Jpg and png (most common photo extensions in the world) are not allowed whats up with that?

Im going with your grain bill westo but i've worked out this hop bill for no chill:

30g simcoe @ 0
15 g Columbus @ 0
30g Columbus dry

I have a carton of hop thief 6 right now so ill be able to compare

Glad I've happened on this thread, sank a few Hop Thief 6 on tap at the Hornsby RSL on Friday. Bloody delicious... shows what JS can do. And Hop Thief is on permanent release now :super:

hop thief.jpg

I find it to be danker on tap than from the bottle

Back