Hop Tea Making Machine....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean brewer

Obsessed Home Brewer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Well, since I am a dedicated No-Chiller and seem to have my Hopping schedule sorted out in relation to American Style/Late Hopped beers and do a fair bit of Dry Hopping straight into fermenter after 7-10 days.... :) I hadnt done any comparisons ATM in relation to Dry Hopping vs Hop Teas and the effects on the brews, so I had been thinking a bit lately at work with a few Morning Teas that we have been doing..... Anyhow,

For the Morning Teas/Weddings we use a drip filter machine for Coffee etc and I recall Fourstars experiment using his espresso machine to extract some hop espresso....

I was at our recycling centre today and picked up a Great Condition "Drip Coffee Maker" for $5 and thought this will/should be great for Hop Teas.... :D

The Machine
IMG_0404.JPG
The Filter, didnt use paper....
IMG_0406.JPG
60grams of Hops
IMG_0412.JPG
Brewing/Heating
IMG_0413.JPGIMG_0415.JPG
Extraction done...
IMG_0419.JPGIMG_0420.JPG
Hop Juice goodness..
IMG_0421.JPG

I also put in the Hop matter that was leftover as im sure there is still more goodness in there, I have 2 brews the same fermenting ATM and one is Dry-hopped and the other has been done with this hop tea... So it will be interesting to see the difference....

:D CB

Interesting experiment there, CB, please bring a bottle of each to the swap if they are ready by then mate.

cheers

Browndog

Interesting experiment there, CB, please bring a bottle of each to the swap if they are ready by then mate.

cheers

Browndog

I plan on it BD, one could be my Swap Beer and/or Drinking Keg aswell but will be bottling a few samples of each for feedback... ;)

It smelt awesome while it was doing its extracting... :icon_drool2:

:icon_cheers: CB

That would take the edge off the dry hops I reckon. When I dry hop in the keg - its seems to have a flavour cycle

I've found with some hop teas such as B Saaz and Styrian Goldings, using hop tea a few days before bottling or kegging infuses the brew with so much flavour and aroma that it just about knocks you on your back at bottling time. However some hops I now avoid such as Hallertau that turns out real grassy. Had my last bottle of a hallertau hopped beer on Monday and it had settled down nicely but I had had to wait five months for it :wacko: I'll have a lookout for a coffee machine at the big op 'warehouse' we have on Bribie Island and give it a go. Also I've been thinking about trying a coffee filter 'cone' for filtering a single bottle of beer (say if I want to take a bottle or two to a meeting without sediment - I have a carbonating cap but no regular filter yet) so I was thinking of buying a pack of cones anyway. I'd do it in a CO2 flushed 'gas chamber'.

sterile_chamber.jpg

Not sure how I would sneak the lass into the garage to work it, though :) :)

That would take the edge off the dry hops I reckon. When I dry hop in the keg - its seems to have a flavour cycle

The thing with this hop tea process (also with the hop esperesso i did) is you get some of the grassy notes from the hop pellets and also a BIG hop flavour. I'd say the aroma comes part in parcel too. It was also very resinous but it probbaly didnt help i used galaxy. Hahaha!

Back